More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM

More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM
1 / 3
Aid deliveries began arriving at a US-built pier on Friday. (CENTCOM)
More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM
2 / 3
Aid deliveries began arriving at a US-built pier on Friday. (CENTCOM)
More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM
3 / 3
A ship loaded with aid sails near a US-built pier on May 18, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 May 2024
Follow

More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM

More than 569 tonnes of aid delivered across floating pier into Gaza, says US CENTCOM

CAIRO: The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said on Tuesday more than 569 metric tonnes of humanitarian assistance has been delivered so far across a temporary floating pier to Gaza, but not all the aid has reached warehouses.

Aid deliveries began arriving at a US-built pier on Friday as Israel comes under growing global pressure to allow more supplies into the besieged coastal enclave.

The UN said that 10 truckloads of food aid — transported from the pier site by UN contractors — were received on Friday at a World Food Programme warehouse in Deir El Balah in Gaza.

But on Saturday, only five truckloads made it to the warehouse after 11 others were cleaned out by Palestinians during the journey through an area that a UN official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said has been hard to access with humanitarian aid.

The UN did not receive any aid from the pier on Sunday or Monday.


Hundreds in Yemen receive KSrelief food aid 

Hundreds in Yemen receive KSrelief food aid 
Updated 21 June 2024
Follow

Hundreds in Yemen receive KSrelief food aid 

Hundreds in Yemen receive KSrelief food aid 

RIYADH: Saudi aid agency KSrelief delivered food aid to 242 families in the Al-Mahra governorate in Yemen on Thursday, reported Saudi Press Agency.

The support benefited 1,694 individuals and is part of the organization’s ongoing project to distribute lifesaving food aid to Yemeni families who are most in need.


Five killed as blaze rips through settlements in southeast Turkiye

Five killed as blaze rips through settlements in southeast Turkiye
Updated 14 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Five killed as blaze rips through settlements in southeast Turkiye

Five killed as blaze rips through settlements in southeast Turkiye
  • The fire was brought under control early on Friday

ISTANBUL: Five people died and dozens were hurt as a huge wildfire swept through several villages in the Kurdish southeastern Turkiye overnight, the health minister said Friday.
Images posted on social media showed flames raging over a large area, lighting up the night sky as vast clouds of smoke billowing into the air.
“Five people died and 44 were injured, 10 seriously,” when the blaze swept through two areas between the provinces of Diyarbakir and Mardin, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca wrote on X, formerly Twitter.
Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said the fire started late on Thursday, when a “a stubble burn” some 30 kilometers south of Diyabakir spread quickly due to strong winds, affecting five villages.
The health minister said seven emergency teams and 35 ambulances were sent to the scene.
Turkiye’s pro-Kurdish DEM party in a post on X urged the authorities to “quickly intervene” to tackle the blaze from the air as it raged early on Friday.
“So far, intervention from the ground has not been enough. The authorities need to intervene more comprehensively and from the air without wasting time,” it said.
According to the latest figures from the European Forest Fire Information System (EFFIS), Turkiye has suffered 74 wildfires so far this year, which have ravaged 12,910 hectares of land.
In the summer of 2021, Turkiye suffered its worst-ever wildfires which claimed nine lives and destroyed huge swathes of forested land across its Mediterranean and Aegean coasts.
The disaster prompted a political crisis after it emerged that Turkiye had no functioning firefighting planes, heaping pressure on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who was forced to accept international help.
It also prompted Ankara to push through Turkiye’s delayed ratification of the Paris Climate Accord, becoming the last of the Group of 20 major economies to do so.
Experts say climate change is set to fuel more fires and other disasters in Turkiye unless measures are taken to tackle the problem.


US’s Gaza aid pier effort hit by repeated setbacks

US’s Gaza aid pier effort hit by repeated setbacks
Updated 21 June 2024
Follow

US’s Gaza aid pier effort hit by repeated setbacks

US’s Gaza aid pier effort hit by repeated setbacks
  • The UN has said it welcomes all efforts to bring in aid, but that land routes are the most important routes for the arrival of assistance

WASHINGTON: The controversial US effort to boost Gaza aid deliveries by building a temporary pier has faced repeated problems, with bad weather damaging the structure and causing other interruptions to the arrival of desperately needed assistance.
More than 4,100 metric tons (nine million pounds) of aid has been delivered via the $230 million pier project so far, but it has only been operational for limited periods, falling short of President Joe Biden’s pledge that it would enable a “massive increase” in assistance reaching Gaza “every day.”
The coastal territory has been devastated by more than eight months of Israeli operations against Palestinian militant group Hamas, uprooting Gaza’s population and leaving them in dire need of aid.
“The Gaza pier regretfully amounted to an extremely expensive distraction from what is truly needed, and what is also legally required,” said Michelle Strucke, director of the Center for Strategic and International Studies Humanitarian Agenda.
That is “safe and unimpeded humanitarian access for humanitarian organizations to provide aid for a population in Gaza that is suffering historic levels of deprivation,” she said.
US forces have also dropped aid by air, but that plus deliveries via the pier “were never meant to substitute for scaled, sustainable access to land crossings that provided safe access by humanitarian workers to provide aid,” Strucke said.
“Pursuing them took away decision makers’ time, energy, and more than $200 million US taxpayer dollars.”
Biden announced during his State of the Union address in March that the US military would establish the pier and American troops began constructing it the following month, initially working offshore.
But in a sign of issues to come, high seas and winds required construction to be relocated to the Israeli port of Ashdod.
The pier was completed in early May, but weather conditions meant it was unsafe to immediately move it into place, and it was not attached to the Gaza coast until the middle of the month.
High seas caused four US Army vessels supporting the mission to break free of their moorings on May 25, beaching two of them, and the pier was damaged by bad weather three days later, requiring sections to be repaired and rebuilt at Ashdod.
It was reattached to the coast on June 7, but aid deliveries were soon paused for two days due to bad weather conditions.
The pier then had to be removed from the shore and moved to Ashdod on June 14 to protect it from high seas. It was returned to Gaza this week and aid deliveries have now resumed.
Raphael Cohen, a senior political scientist at the RAND Corporation research group, said the “pier effort has yet to produce the results that the Biden administration hoped.”
“Aside from the weather issues, it’s been quite expensive and has not fixed the operational challenges of getting aid into Gaza,” he said.
Cohen said that despite the issues with the pier, it does provide another entry point for aid and allows assistance to be brought in even when land crossings are closed — a persistent problem that has worsened the dire humanitarian situation in Gaza.
And he said the effort may also help improve future deployments of the military’s temporary pier capability, which was last used operationally more than a decade ago in Haiti.
In addition to weather, the project is facing a major challenge in terms of the distribution of aid that arrives via the pier, which the UN World Food Programme decided to halt while it assesses the security situation — an evaluation that is still ongoing.
That announcement came after Israel conducted a nearby operation earlier this month that freed four hostages but which health officials in Hamas-ruled Gaza said killed more than 270 people.
The UN has said it welcomes all efforts to bring in aid, but that land routes are the most important routes for the arrival of assistance.
Strucke emphasized that “what Gazans need is not the appearance of aid — they need actual aid to reach them.”
Washington “should be very careful not to support actions that may look good on paper to increase routes to provide assistance, but do not result in aid actually reaching Palestinians in need at scale,” she said.


US destroys six Houthi drones in Red Sea

US destroys six Houthi drones in Red Sea
Updated 21 June 2024
Follow

US destroys six Houthi drones in Red Sea

US destroys six Houthi drones in Red Sea
  • The Houthis are engaged in a long-running civil war that has triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises

WASHINGTON: The US military said Thursday that it had destroyed four Houthi nautical drones and two aerial ones over the Red Sea off Yemen.
The Iran-backed Houthis have launched scores of drones and missiles at commercial vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since November, describing the attacks as being in support of Palestinians during the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip.
The United States and its allies, particularly Britain, have responded with an increased naval presence to defend shipping in the vital waterway and with retaliatory strikes on Houthi targets.
The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement Thursday night that its forces had “destroyed four Iranian-backed Houthi uncrewed surface vessels (USV) in the Red Sea and two uncrewed aerial systems (UAS) over the Red Sea” in the past 24 hours.
CENTCOM said the day before that it had destroyed “one ground control station and one command and control node” in a Houthi-controlled area of Yemen.
This week, a merchant ship whose hull was breached in an earlier Houthi attack, the M/V Tutor, was believed to have sunk in the Red Sea after its crew was evacuated, according to a maritime security agency run by the British navy.
A Filipino sailor aboard the vessel was killed in the attack.
A Sri Lankan crew member on another ship, the M/V Verbena, was seriously injured in a separate attack, and the vessel had to be abandoned.
US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller condemned those attacks in a statement and said Washington would “continue to take necessary action to protect freedom of navigation and commercial shipping.”
He also called on the Houthis “to release all detainees, including the United Nations, diplomatic, and non-governmental organization staff they detained earlier this month.”
The Houthis earlier this month arrested a number of people they claimed were part of a US-Israeli spy network, adding that those held worked under “the cover of international organizations and UN agencies.”
The heads of six United Nations agencies and three international NGOs subsequently issued a joint call for the release of their staff, with UN rights chief Volker Turk dismissing the spying accusations as “outrageous.”
The Houthis are engaged in a long-running civil war that has triggered one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. More than half of the population is dependent on aid in the Arabian Peninsula’s poorest country.


Blinken tells Israeli officials of need to avoid further escalation with Lebanon

Blinken tells Israeli officials of need to avoid further escalation with Lebanon
Updated 21 June 2024
Follow

Blinken tells Israeli officials of need to avoid further escalation with Lebanon

Blinken tells Israeli officials of need to avoid further escalation with Lebanon

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken told Israeli officials during a meeting on Thursday of the need to avoid further escalation in Lebanon amid the war in Gaza, the State Department said.
Blinken was meeting Israeli national security adviser Tzachi Hanegbi and Ron Dermer, Israel’s minister for strategic affairs.