Mosques to mute external speakers during prayers

Updated 06 June 2015

Mosques to mute external speakers during prayers

JEDDAH: The Ministry of Islamic Affairs ordered mosques to shut down external speakers and only resort to the internal one, except during calls for prayers, Friday prayers, Eids and the rainfall prayer.
Mosque imams were prevented from installing echo devices and transmutation cutting devices as the ministry said that mosques' neighbors complained of the loud noise of the speakers and the interference of sounds from different mosques creating distortions.
The ministry instructed field workers to conduct visits to make sure that imams and preachers abide by the new regulations. The ministry issued a number of warnings and regulations for mosques during the holy month of Ramadan when it comes to prayers and breaking the fast.
The ministry advised mosque imams, who are commissioned to perform Taraweeh and Qiyam Al-Lail prayers during Ramadan, against long preaching times, rhymes and attacking sermons.
Regulations included preventing preaching activities in the mosques during Ramadan other than the officially permitted lectures and seminars. The ministry said there is a need to choose people other than the employed imams who memorize the Qur'an, with preference given to students and teachers from Qur'an teaching schools.
The ministry stressed the need to abide by the Adhan times according to Um Al-Qura time, making sure that the call for prayer is made without distortion.
The ministry started working with a number of preachers, scholars and university professors, through a number of lectures and seminars for employees and staff of 10 government agencies, to expose the risks of extremism and ideological splits.


British ambassador to Saudi Arabia condemns Houthi drone attack targeting the Kingdom

Updated 2 min 15 sec ago

British ambassador to Saudi Arabia condemns Houthi drone attack targeting the Kingdom

  • Neil Crompton denounced the attack that aimed for “civilian targets,” and said the Houthis “must cease such attacks”
  • The Arab coalition intercepted the drones launched across the border from Yemen on Wednesday

LONDON: Britain’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia condemned the Houthis for launching drones toward the Saudi city of Najran.
The Arab coalition intercepted the drones launched across the border from Yemen on Wednesday.
Neil Crompton denounced the attack that aimed for “civilian targets,” and said the Houthis “must cease such attacks.”
“If the Houthis want to show they are serious about peace, they must cease such attacks and agree to Griffiths’ proposals,” the ambassador said Thursday, referring to a roadmap set out by the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths.
On Wednesday, Arab coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the Houthi militia continued to violate international humanitarian law by launching drones and deliberately targeting civilians and residential areas, threatening the lives of hundreds of civilians.
He also said the Houthis have violated a cease-fire that was announced last month 4,455 times so far.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s Information Minister Moammar Al-Eryani warned against Houthi recruitment of African refugees and illegal immigrants to fight against the legitimate government in the country.
He said that African refugees and illegal immigrants were being tortured and forced to fight in Houthi ranks, smuggle drugs and carry out espionage tasks.