Over 2.5 million arrested for labor, residency violations in Saudi Arabia

1 / 4
41,233 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom. (SPA)
2 / 4
41,233 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom. (SPA)
3 / 4
41,233 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom. (SPA)
4 / 4
41,233 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom. (SPA)
Updated 27 January 2019
0

Over 2.5 million arrested for labor, residency violations in Saudi Arabia

  • 1,852 people were arrested for trying to cross the border into neighboring countries and 3,305 were arrested for involvement in transporting and harboring those violators

JEDDAH: More than 2.5 million violators of residency, work and border security systems have been arrested in a year-long roundup, according to an official report.
Since the campaign began in November 2017 the total number of offenders was 2,504,037, which included 1,949,024 for violating residency regulations, 383,033 for labor violations and 171,980 for border violations.
The report said that 41,233 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom, 51 percent of whom were Yemeni citizens, 46 percent were Ethiopians and 3 percent were of other nationalities.
Some 1,852 people were arrested for trying to cross the border into neighboring countries and 3,305 were arrested for involvement in transporting and harboring those violators.
Immediate penalties were imposed against 385,898 offenders; 345,075 were transferred to their respective diplomatic missions to obtain travel documents; 430,271 were transferred to complete their travel reservations; and 637,507 were deported.


Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

Updated 34 min 51 sec ago

Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

  • Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an 'Iranian attack'
  • Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf. 

JEDDAH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday described strikes on key Saudi oil installations as an “act of war” as he landed in Jeddah to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an “Iranian attack”.

He said it had not come from Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militants and that there was no evidence the attacks had been launched from Iraq.

"This is an attack of a scale we've just not seen before," he added.

Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

Pompeo's visit comes as President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after Saudi Arabia's display of remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in the I that was "unquestionably sponsored" by Tehran.

"There are many options. There's the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we'll see," Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. "I'm saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war."

Trump, who earlier said on Twitter that he had ordered the US Treasury to "substantially increase" sanctions on Iran, told reporters the unspecified, punitive economic measures would be unveiled within 48 hours.

Trump's tweet followed repeated US assertions that the Islamic Republic was behind Saturday's attack on Aramco facilities and came hours after Saudi Arabia said the strike was a "test of global will."

Earlier on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump about the Aramco attack, and agreed that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Also on Wednesday, Kuwait's army released a statement announcing it was raising its preparedness level for some units, given the tensions in the Middle East region.