Saudi doctor’s message of hope after beating COVID-19

1 / 3
Omar Hafiz left note for next patient to be quarantined in room as reminder that ‘these days will pass and will soon be memories.’
2 / 3
Omar Hafiz
3 / 3
Short Url
Updated 02 June 2020

Saudi doctor’s message of hope after beating COVID-19

  • The worst part of his job during the pandemic, he said, is seeing people seriously ill in hospital as a result of their own negligence or failure to comply with measures to prevent the spread of the disease

MAKKAH: A Saudi doctor who spent weeks in isolation in a hotel room in Jeddah after testing positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) left an inspirational message for the next person to be quarantined there.
Dr. Omar Hafiz wrote: “Do not give up, my friend. These days will pass and will soon be memories. The virus will go and you will stay. I wish you a happy isolation.” He signed it, “a former isolated man.”
Hafiz was quarantined in the hotel after tests confirmed he was infected with the novel coronavirus. At first he only had a headache and fatigue but other symptoms developed, including a high temperature and a cough.
It was also discovered he had passed the virus on to his mother and two of his siblings, who were hospitalized. Hafiz sent an emotional message to his mother, saying: “I hope you are proud of me for being one of the people who have been serving the society, along with my colleagues, risking their lives and those of their families to serve their nation.”
It was a long and difficult ordeal but Hafiz and his family are on the road to recovery. They were released three days ago and have returned to their home in Al-Marwa neighborhood, where they will remain isolated until fully recovered, with no risk of passing on the disease to anyone else.

BACKGROUND

Dr. Omar Hafiz was quarantined after testing positive for the novel coronavirus. At first he only had a headache and fatigue but other symptoms developed, including a high temperature and a cough.

Despite the difficult experience, Hafiz said he remained positive throughout and never doubted he and his family would win their fight against the disease and return to their normal lives.
He said he still considers his job on the front line of the fight against the virus as a service to the nation, and plans to return to work as soon as it is safe to do so. He and his colleagues will continue to do everything they can to fight the virus, he added.
Hafiz also highlighted the importance of the preventative measures introduced by the Ministry of Health and other authorities to protect people and save lives. He urged people not to be distressed or unhappy, therefore, about curfews or other restrictions designed to protect them and their families.
The worst part of his job during the pandemic, he said, is seeing people seriously ill in hospital as a result of their own negligence or failure to comply with measures to prevent the spread of the disease. Many of these people transmit the virus to loved ones and friends who then also face a long road to recovery or, in some cases, a fight for their life.


Saudi bridge continues to aid stricken in Lebanon

KSRelief provided urgent food supplies to affected people living in the areas adjacent to the port, covering 500 families. (SPA)
Updated 10 August 2020

Saudi bridge continues to aid stricken in Lebanon

  • So far, 290 tons of aid transported to provide urgent humanitarian needs to people affected by explosion

JEDDAH: Aid continues to flow into the Lebanese capital Beirut, as the fourth Saudi air bridge plane operated by the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) arrived on Sunday.
Ninety tons of emergency aid was flown in on the flight, including medical materials and equipment, foodstuff and shelter supplies. Medicines, burn treatments, medical solutions, masks, gloves, sterilizers and other surgical materials will be distributed by special teams on the ground.
The plane also carried food baskets that included flour and dates as well as shelter materials such as tents, blankets, mattresses, and utensils.
So far, 290 tons of aid has been transported from Saudi Arabia to Lebanon as per the directives of King Salman to provide urgent humanitarian aid to the Lebanese people affected by the explosion at the Port of Beirut.
This aid was provided based on an assessment report of the necessary humanitarian needs resulting from the explosion, in coordination with the Saudi Embassy in Beirut, and the KSRelief branch in Lebanon.
This comes as an extension of the efforts made by Saudi Arabia to show solidarity with the Lebanese people and to provide relief to those affected by the disaster.

FASTFACT

So far, 290 tons of aid has been transported from Saudi Arabia to Lebanon as per the directives of King Salman to provide urgent humanitarian aid to the Lebanese people affected by the explosion at the Port of Beirut.

KSRelief provided urgent food supplies to affected people living in the areas adjacent to the port on Sunday, covering 500 families.
Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Waleed bin Abdullah Bukhari told Arab News that special committees would oversee and review reports on the Lebanese people’s needs.
“Aid will continue to flow into Lebanon after assessing the required needs of the Lebanese people in cooperation with the relevant authorities in Lebanon,” he said.
Countries around the world have come together to help Lebanon in the wake of the explosion on Aug. 4, which devastated large areas of Beirut, damaging and destroying infrastructure, buildings and homes, including all port facilities and the country’s grain storage silos.