In Haiti, disbelief and rumors lead to virus deaths

Dr. Erneau Mondesir (R), member of the staff of the Doctors Without Borders Drouillard Hospital in Cite Soleil, Haiti, puts on his personal protective equipment on June 3, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 June 2020

In Haiti, disbelief and rumors lead to virus deaths

  • Medical personnel are baffled by the unwillingness of many Haitians to take the pandemic seriously
  • Those who are ill and relatives of those who have died refuse to believe that they are susceptible to getting sick

CITE SOLEIL, Haiti: On paper, Haiti so far has everything it needs to battle the coronavirus crisis — unoccupied hospital beds, medical staff and supplies.
But in reality, the population’s skepticism about whether the contagion even exists has led to a quickly mounting death toll.
“The illness is real. Many of our citizens are experiencing respiratory symptoms and other tell-tale signs,” said Erneau Mondesir, a doctor who works in impoverished Cite Soleil.
“It’s really important for them to believe this disease exists.”
And yet, despite the hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world, medical personnel are baffled by the unwillingness of many Haitians to take the pandemic seriously.
The first cases were detected in Haiti two months ago. In recent days, an increasing number of people are reporting symptoms consistent with COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.
They insist they have a “bit of a fever” or a “mild illness” — but people are dying in and around the capital Port-au-Prince.
Those who are ill and relatives of those who have died refuse to believe that they are susceptible to getting sick.
Instead of seeking medical attention, some are relying on tea-based home remedies.
Mondesir works at a hospital in Cite Soleil — located just outside the capital — opened by Doctors without Borders (MSF). The 45-bed facility is restricted to coronavirus patients.
Two weeks after it opened, more and more people are being admitted. But there is still room for more.

“Today, one thing is clear: there are many people who stayed at home too long and then came to the hospital,” explained Mondesir, the medical director for the MSF project.
“That means treating them will not be as effective at the outset,” he added, before donning all of the necessary protective gear.
In the intensive care unit, oxygen machines hum and heart monitors beep — the repetitive rhythm of the otherwise calm room.
Doctors and nurses, their names scrawled in marker on their disposable gowns, regularly check on their patients. For now, only three of 10 beds are in use.
“These are the patients in critical condition. They arrive in a coma, and with complications,” said Antonio Plessy, another doctor in the unit. Behind him, an elderly man lies unconscious.
“We’re trying everything: giving them high levels of oxygen, anticoagulants, antibiotics... We’re doing everything until they breathe their last breath,” said the anesthesiologist.
According to the latest data, published late Wednesday, there have been 50 virus-related deaths in Haiti, out of 2,640 confirmed cases.
But even the national crisis management committee acknowledges that the real figures are higher, given the relatively small number of tests conducted so far.
In a country where so many rely on the informal economy to get by, lockdown measures have been impossible to impose, and social distancing in crowded markets is a pipe dream.
Even getting people to wear a mask properly — technically required in public spaces since May 11 — is a challenge. Medical experts are certain that an uptick in infections is coming.
“If we can’t limit the spread of this pathogen now, we can at least try to limit the damage,” said Mondesir, adding that he wishes contact tracing were a viable possibility.
“It usually takes a week or two from the time that symptoms first appear for patients to show up at the hospital,” he noted.
“It’s very hard to trace all the people these patients have been in contact with, beyond those who live with them.”

Jonel Cadet, 25, only found out he had coronavirus because he had a motorcycle accident and broke his leg.
“I developed a bit of a fever when I was in the hospital. It dropped quickly, but then they put something in my nose and then my throat, and then they told me I was infected,” he said.
Before he ended up in the hospital, he was among the skeptics. He even had to convince his relatives to let him seek treatment at the MSF facility.
“I didn’t believe it, and I even said the president was talking nonsense,” he said with a laugh.
“It was only by coming here that I really started to believe, because I saw people who were much worse off.”
Beyond the general skepticism that reigns in Haiti, there are also those who believe a rumor that any treatment involving a needle in a coronavirus treatment center will be deadly.
“My brother thought they would kill me at the hospital,” said Cadet, who has now recovered after two weeks of inpatient care.
“I told him God would decide. But no, it has to be said — no one kills people at hospitals.”
Cadet advises his countrymen to “wear masks, and then there you go, no corona.”
His broken leg is now healing in an exterior metal brace, and he is eagerly awaiting a return to a “normal” hospital as it heals.


Russia warns Belarus will pay price for contractors’ arrests

Updated 7 min 47 sec ago

Russia warns Belarus will pay price for contractors’ arrests

MOSCOW: Russia’s security chief described the arrest of 33 Russian private military contractors in Belarus as a presidential campaign stunt and warned Wednesday that it would have grave consequences for ties between the two neighbors and allies.
Authorities arrested the Russian contractors outside the capital of Minsk last week on charges of planning to stage mass riots, amid an upsurge of opposition protests ahead of the Sunday election — in which Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko is seeking a sixth term.
Russia has demanded the release of the contractors for a private firm, saying they only were in Belarus because they missed a connecting flight to another country. The government in Minsk has further irked Moscow by raising the possibility that some of the contractors could be handed over to Ukraine, which wants them on charges of fighting alongside Russia-backed separatists.
Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of Russia’s Security Council, sharply raised the stakes in the dispute Wednesday, saying that the Belarusian leadership has turned bilateral ties into “small change in the election campaign.”
Without mentioning Lukashenko by name, Medvedev described the arrested contractors as part of a “simple political technology — to create an enemy image and to achieve a political result using that enemy image.”
“It’s not only offensive, it’s very sad,” said Medvedev, who served as Russia’s president in 2008-2012 and then as prime minister for the next eight years, before becoming No. 2 in the Security Council chaired by President Vladimir Putin. “And it will entail sad consequences, too.”
Throughout his 26 years in office, the authoritarian Lukashenko has relied on Russian subsidies and loans to shore up his nation’s Soviet-style economy but fiercely resisted Moscow’s push for control over Belarus’s economic assets.
The Kremlin turned the heat up on the Belarusian president earlier this year by withdrawing some of the subsidies and warning the government it would have to accept closer economic and political integration to continue receiving Russian energy at a discount.
Lukashenko denounced Moscow’s position as part of Russia’s alleged efforts to deprive Belarus of its independence.
The 65-year-old president alleged in a state-of-the-nation address on Tuesday that another group of “militants” had been sent to southern Belarus, but gave no details. He warned Moscow against trying to fuel tensions in his country, saying that the instability could spread to Russia.
In a move certain to anger the Kremlin even more, Lukashenko had a phone call Wednesday with the president of Ukraine. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy asked for Belarus to hand over 28 of the arrested Russians so they can be prosecuted for allegedly fighting alongside Russia-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine.
Belarusian authorities claimed the arrested contractors worked for the Wagner company. The private military firm is linked to Yevgeny Prigozhin, a Russian businessman who was indicted in the United States for meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.
Wagner has allegedly deployed hundreds of military contractors to eastern Ukraine, Syria and Libya.