Former Hezbollah chief holds current leadership responsible for destruction of Lebanon

Subhi Al-Tufayli said Hezbollah was responsible for the problems across the Middle East. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2020

Former Hezbollah chief holds current leadership responsible for destruction of Lebanon

  • Tufayli says Hezbollah leader should be tried
  • Blames Hezbollah for troubles across the region

DUBAI: Former Hezbollah chief, Subhi Al-Tufayli, held the current leadership of the militia organization responsible for the destruction of Lebanon.

Tufayli said Hassan Nasrallah – who heads the Iranian-backed Lebanese group – must be tried, along with his supporter, the Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei.

Tufayli, the first Secretary-General of Hezbollah from 1983 until 1984, said that above the Lebanese government, Prime Minister Hassan Diab, was the leadership of Hezbollah and therefore the group’s leadership is the root of the problem. Tufayli said it was the leadership that must be held responsible.

The Lebanese group Hezbollah - listed as a terrorist group by the US, UK, EU and Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia - is an Iranian proxy Shia militia. It was established by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Lebanon in 1982 and remains dependent on Iranian finance and support.

The former Hezbollah leader said it was Hezbollah’s Iranian-supplied weapons that destroyed Lebanon and other countries in the region.

 

 

“These weapons destroyed Syria. These weapons destroyed Iraq. These weapons destroyed Yemen. These weapons destroyed Lebanon. These weapons exploded Beirut,” he said.

Tufayli comments came as Lebanon’s government resigned on Monday less than a week after a massive blast ripped through Beirut.

The explosion, thought to have been caused by more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate held in a warehouse in the Port of Beirut, killed at least 160, injured thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands of people in the capital.

Diab, who took office last December, was already under pressure for the lack of progress in resolving the country’s dire financial and economic situation.


Gulf countries to vaccinate those vulnerable to COVID-19 infections  

Updated 29 October 2020

Gulf countries to vaccinate those vulnerable to COVID-19 infections  

  • Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court has announced that the families of those who died from COVID-19 will receive the coronavirus vaccine as a priority
  • Omani authorities announced that over one million doses of coronavirus vaccine had been ordered

DUBAI: Gulf countries have begun to implement plans for the vaccinations of those at most at risk of COVID-19 infections and those who were bereaved. 
The Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court has announced that the families of those who died from COVID-19 will receive the coronavirus vaccine as a priority. 
The campaign was launched in cooperation with the Department of Health-Abu Dhabi to protect the health of families around the country, Sheikh Khalifa bin Tahnoon Al-Nahyan, Executive Director of the Martyrs’ Families’ Affairs Office at the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court said on Wednesday.  
Since the start of the pandemic, the Martyrs’ Families’ Affairs Office has maintained communication with the families of those who lost their lives to the virus to help them handle its consequences, state news agency Wam reported. 
Kuwait has also announced that the elderly, patients with chronic disease, front line medics and providers of basic services will be vaccinated against COVID-19 once shipments arrive.  
The Kuwaiti health minister, Basel Al-Sabah, said these measures aimed to curtail coronavirus complications, infections and hospitalizations. 
Meanwhile, Omani authorities announced that over one million doses of coronavirus vaccine had been ordered, which the health ministry aims to use before the end of the year.
A second batch of 1.8 million has also been ordered, according to the state news agency ONA.
“We hope to vaccinate about 60 percent of citizens and residents so that we could attain total immunity in the community,” said the Minister of Health, Ahmed bin Mohammed Al-Saeedi. 
The minister, who is a member of the Supreme Committee tasked with tackling developments resulting from coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, has said the Sultanate seeks to obtain COVID-19 vaccine from any globally accredited institution.