UAE, Bahrain call for joint work to contain tensions threatening regional stability

UAE, Bahrain call for joint work to contain tensions threatening regional stability
1 / 2
UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan received his Bahraini counterpart Dr. Abdul Latif bin Rashid Al Zayani in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
UAE, Bahrain call for joint work to contain tensions threatening regional stability
2 / 2
UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan received his Bahraini counterpart Dr. Abdul Latif bin Rashid Al Zayani in Abu Dhabi. (WAM)
Short Url
Updated 24 April 2024
Follow

UAE, Bahrain call for joint work to contain tensions threatening regional stability

UAE, Bahrain call for joint work to contain tensions threatening regional stability
  • During a meeting in Abu Dhabi, the ministers discussed the fraternal relations between UAE and Bahrain

DUBAI: UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan received his Bahraini counterpart Dr. Abdul Latif bin Rashid Al Zayani in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed welcomed the Bahraini Foreign Minister, and during the meeting held at the ministry’s headquarters in Abu Dhabi, they discussed the fraternal relations between the two countries, and ways to enhance Emirati-Bahraini cooperation at various levels, WAM reported. 

Sheikh Abdullah stressed during the meeting that the UAE and Bahrain are linked by historical relations that are becoming more established, developed and growing, and that they also constitute an important tributary to joint Gulf and Arab work.

He also stressed that the current challenges facing the region require intensifying cooperation, coordination and joint work to contain all tensions that threaten its stability, security and safety of its people. 


Erdogan says end near of military operation in north Iraq, Syria

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Erdogan says end near of military operation in north Iraq, Syria

Erdogan says end near of military operation in north Iraq, Syria
Turkiye launched Operation Claw-Lock in April 2022 to secure its border with northern Iraq
Erdogan said that the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) had been “completely trapped“

ISTANBUL: President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday announced the imminent end to the Turkish forces’ operation against Kurdish PKK fighters in northern Iraq and Syria.
Turkiye launched Operation Claw-Lock in April 2022 to secure its border with northern Iraq, from where it accused Kurdish separatists of launching attacks against Turkish territory.
“We will very soon complete the lockdown of the area of operation in northern Iraq,” the president said, adding that Kurdish forces were now “incapable of acting inside our borders.”
Erdogan said that the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) had been “completely trapped” in both Iraq and Syria, telling young military academy graduates that Turkish forces were “all over them.”
“We will complete the missing points of the security belt along our southern border with Syria.”
Since 2016, Ankara has also carried out successive ground operations to expel Kurdish forces from border areas of northern Syria.

Lebanon security source says Israeli strike kills 2 civilians

Lebanon security source says Israeli strike kills 2 civilians
Updated 57 min 59 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon security source says Israeli strike kills 2 civilians

Lebanon security source says Israeli strike kills 2 civilians
  • The security source said “two civilians were filling up water from a roadside spring” in the Deir Mimas area when they were killed in an “Israeli air strike“
  • A source close to Hezbollah said one of the men was a member of the Shiite Muslim movement

BEIRUT: A Lebanese security source said an Israeli air strike Saturday killed two civilians collecting water in south Lebanon, while the Israeli army said a raid in the area targeted two Hezbollah operatives.
The security source, requesting anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to the media, said that “two civilians were filling up water from a roadside spring” in the Deir Mimas area when they were killed in an “Israeli air strike.”
A source close to Hezbollah, also requesting anonymity, said one of the men was a member of the Shiite Muslim movement and the father of a fighter who had been killed, while the second man was a member of Hezbollah ally the Amal movement.
The pair were “civilians, not fighters,” the source added.
The Israeli army said in a statement that “soldiers identified two Hezbollah terrorists preparing to launch projectiles toward Israeli territory in the area of Deir Mimas in southern Lebanon.”
“Shortly following the identification, the IAF (air force) struck the terrorists,” the statement added.
Hezbollah has traded almost daily fire with Israeli forces in support of ally Hamas since the Palestinian militant group’s October 7 attack on Israel triggered war in the Gaza Strip.
Lebanon’s National News Agency said an “enemy drone” killed two men on Saturday in the same area, identifying one of them as a local council member for the Amal movement in the nearby village of Kfar Kila.
It said they were collecting water from the spring “to take it for livestock in Kfar Kila.”
The Amal movement released a statement saying one of its members, born in 1964, was killed.
In Lebanon, the cross-border violence since October has killed more than 500 people, mostly fighters but also including more than 90 civilians, according to an AFP tally.
On the Israeli side, at least 29 people have been killed, the majority of them soldiers, according to the authorities.
The violence, largely restricted to the border area, has raised fears of all-out conflict between the foes, which last went to war in the summer of 2006.


Israel says Gaza camp strike targeted Hamas military chief Dief

Israel says Gaza camp strike targeted Hamas military chief Dief
Updated 13 July 2024
Follow

Israel says Gaza camp strike targeted Hamas military chief Dief

Israel says Gaza camp strike targeted Hamas military chief Dief
  • The army “struck Mohammed Deif and Rafa Salama, the commander of Hamas’ Khan Yunis Brigade”

JERUSALEM: The Israeli army said it targeted Hamas military leader Mohammed Deif on Saturday in a strike on Gaza, after the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry said dozens were killed in an Israeli attack on a displacement camp.
The army “struck Mohammed Deif and Rafa Salama, the commander of Hamas’ Khan Yunis Brigade, who are two of the masterminds of the October 7 massacre,” it said in a statement.
It came after the Gaza health ministry said 71 people were killed and 289 wounded in an Israeli strike on the Al-Mawasi camp for displaced people in southern Gaza.


Five inmates killed in attempted breakout from Somalian prison

Five inmates killed in attempted breakout from Somalian prison
Updated 13 July 2024
Follow

Five inmates killed in attempted breakout from Somalian prison

Five inmates killed in attempted breakout from Somalian prison
  • The firefight between the security forces and inmates broke out in the capital’s main prison
  • The five inmates who died were members of the Islamist group Al-Shabab who had been sentenced to death

MOGADISHU: Five inmates were killed in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Saturday after gunfire broke out between security forces and some prisoners who had acquired weapons and were trying to escape, state media and residents said.
The firefight between the security forces and inmates broke out in the capital’s main prison, located in the city’s south near the port.
“Somalia’s prison forces concluded an operation in which prisoners fought inside the cell. Prisoners who tried to fight were shot dead,” Somalia National TV said in a post on their Facebook account.
The five inmates who died were members of the Islamist group Al-Shabab who had been sentenced to death, it added.
It did not say whether any prisoners had escaped during the firefight.
Two security personnel at the prison, who asked not to be named for fear of retribution, told Reuters grenades and guns had been smuggled into the cell and the inmates had used them to start the firefight.
“We heard gunfire and...explosion inside the cell. The gunfire stopped after like 15 minutes. Government forces cordoned (off) the whole area,” said Abdullahi Aden, a local resident who lives near the prison.
A police spokesperson could not be reached for a comment.
Al Shabab has been fighting Somalia’s central government for nearly two decades and wants to establish its own rule based on its strict interpretation of Islamic sharia law.


Israeli attack on southern Gaza kills 71 people and said to target head of Hamas' military wing

Israeli attack on southern Gaza kills 71 people and said to target head of Hamas' military wing
Updated 13 July 2024
Follow

Israeli attack on southern Gaza kills 71 people and said to target head of Hamas' military wing

Israeli attack on southern Gaza kills 71 people and said to target head of Hamas' military wing
  • Israeli attack on Saturday that hit tents housing displaced people

CAIRO: The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said an Israeli strike on Saturday killed 71 people at the Al-Mawasi camp for war displaced in the south of the Palestinian territory.
Al-Mawasi, near the city of Khan Yunis, was designated as one of the safe zones by Israel after it ordered civilians to evacuate other parts of the Gaza Strip.
The ministry condemned what it called a “brutal massacre by the occupation,” referring to Israel. It said 71 people were killed and at least 289 wounded, with additional victims yet to be found.
The Israeli military said it was looking into the reported bombing.
Fleets of ambulances rushed casualties to the Nasser hospital in Khan Yunis, the Kuwaiti field hospital in Rafah and other nearby clinics.
Gaza’s civil defense agency said ongoing shelling had prevented its teams from reaching victims in the tent city where tens of thousands have sought refuge.
“There are still many bodies of martyrs scattered in the streets, under the rubble and around the tents of the displaced that cannot be reached due to the heavy shelling of the occupation (Israeli army) that targeted places and tents in the in Al-Mawasi,” said civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal.
Al-Mawasi had been declared a safe zone by Israel as it pursues its military offensive in other parts of the Gaza Strip in response to the October 7 Hamas attacks.
The UN Palestinian relief agency, UNRWA, has estimated that up to 1.5 million people may now be in the whole Al-Mawasi district.
Suhaib Al-Hams, head of the Kuwait field hospital, called the attack “a real massacre.”
He said there were many “severe injuries including amputations and lacerations of internal organs.”
“A real disaster is happening now amid the collapse of the health care system,” he added.
The strike came on the 281st day of the war unleashed by the October 7 Hamas attacks on Israel that resulted in 1,195 deaths, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
The militants also seized 251 hostages, 116 of whom remain in Gaza, including 42 the military says are dead.
Israel’s military reprisal has killed at least 38,345 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to data from Gaza’s health ministry.