Hamas supports military operation for political legitimacy in Yemen

Updated 30 March 2015

Hamas supports military operation for political legitimacy in Yemen

Hamas extended support for Kingdom-led operation “Decisive Storm,” aimed at restoring the legitimate government in Yemen, as also to save its people from rampaging Houthi militants.
The Palestinian organization said in a statement issued on Saturday that it supports self-determination of the Yemeni people and opposes any actions that would put Yemen’s security and independence at risk.
Hamas said it supports “political legitimacy” in Yemen and backs its “unity, security and independence.”
The statement assumes significance as it comes shortly after Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas joined the array of leaders from the Muslim world who strongly supported the joint military operation by coalition forces.
Reacting to increasing support for the military operation, including the support of Hamas, Dr. Sadaka Yehia Fadil, a senior member of the Shoura Council told Arab News, “The Decisive Storm operation is being supported by the Muslim world and the international community, including many significant world leaders, because it is an appropriate move to provide justice for the people of Yemen by restoring the legitimate government.”
“It is very much in the interest of the people of Yemen and protects their right to self-determination,” he said. He also emphasized “it is significant that Hamas is getting away from Iranian influence.”
The Shoura Council member further pointed out that Houthis militants are hand-in-glove with the Iranian government which is definitely using it for their purpose.
The Houthi illegal move to occupy power has widely been criticized worldwide, he said.


Saudi Arabia announces 22 more COVID-19 deaths

Updated 01 June 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 22 more COVID-19 deaths

  • The total number of confirmed cases in the Kingdom so far has reached 87,142
  • A total of 525 people have died from COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced 22 new deaths from COVID-19 and 1,881 new cases of the disease on Monday. 
Of the new cases, 688 were recorded in Riyadh, 293 in Jeddah , and 290 in Dammam. 
The total number of confirmed cases in the Kingdom so far has reached 87,142. 
The health ministry also announced that 1,864 more patients had recovered from the coronavirus, bringing the total number of people who have recovered in the Kingdom to 64,306.
A total of 525 people have died from COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia.