Powerful aftershock leaves one killed, 41 injured in Mindanao city

A house is seen partially damaged after an earthquake struck Surigao City in the southern island of Mindanao on Sunday. (AFP)
Updated 05 March 2017
0

Powerful aftershock leaves one killed, 41 injured in Mindanao city

MANILA: One person was killed and 41 injured on Sunday when a powerful aftershock hit a southern Philippine city still recovering from a quake last month, authorities said.
The 5.9-magnitude quake struck the southern city of Surigao and surrounding areas, causing two houses and several walls to collapse, government seismologists and civil defense officers said.
A 65-year-old woman died of a heart attack while 41 people were treated for injuries mostly caused by falling objects, civil defense officials said.
The quake also knocked out power for several hours in the city of 152,000 people.
It was just one of over a hundred aftershocks to hit Surigao City on Mindanao island since a 6.5-magnitude quake on Feb. 10 left eight dead and over 250 injured.
Its epicenter was outside Surigao City in the same area as the epicenter of last month’s tremor, the government seismology office said.
The Philippines lies on the so-called Ring of Fire, a vast Pacific Ocean region where many of the world’s earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur.
Before the Feb. 10 quake, the last lethal one to hit the country was a 7.1-magnitude tremor that left over 220 people dead and destroyed historic churches when it struck the central islands in October 2013.


UK teen gets 2 years for targeting CIA chief’s phone, email

Updated 43 min 1 sec ago
0

UK teen gets 2 years for targeting CIA chief’s phone, email

LONDON: A British teenager has been sentenced to two years in a youth detention center for compromising the email and phone accounts of senior US government officials in what a judge called acts of “cyber-terrorism.”
Prosecutors say Kane Gamble conned call centers during 2015-16 into revealing information that got him into the accounts of then-FBI director Mark Giuliano, then-Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson, then-CIA chief John Brennan and other officials.
They say Gamble, who was part of a group of hackers called “Crackas With Attitude,” put some of the information he gathered online.
Gamble pleaded guilty last year. The 18-year-old was sentenced to youth custody on Friday in a London criminal court.
Judge Charles Haddon-Cave said his “nasty campaign of politically motivated cyber-terrorism” had left victims feeling violated.