Movie about marathon bombing survivor premieres at hospital

From left, actor Jake Gyllenhaal, director David Gordon Green, Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman, and actress Tatiana Maslany, arrive on the red carpet at the US premiere of the movie ‘Stronger.’ (AP)
Updated 13 September 2017
0

Movie about marathon bombing survivor premieres at hospital

BOSTON: A film chronicling the story of Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman premiered in the US on Tuesday at the hospital where he and others who were injured in the 2013 deadly attack were treated.
Dozens of people attended the screening of “Stronger” at the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston. The movie is based on Bauman’s 2014 memoir of the same name.
The movie stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Bauman, who lost his legs in the attack, and “Orphan Black” actress Tatiana Maslany as Bauman’s then-girlfriend, Erin Hurley. Bauman, Hurley and their on-screen counterparts graced a red carpet at the hospital on Tuesday with director David Gordon Green, producer Todd Lieberman and writer John Pollono.
Hurley was running the marathon and Bauman was there to cheer her on when two bombs went off near the finish line on April 25, 2013, killing three spectators and injuring more than 260 others, including Bauman.
Bauman, who uses prosthetic legs, and Gyllenhaal became close during filming and remain friends. They walked side by side down the red carpet at the hospital, where Bauman spent grueling months in intensive rehabilitation.
“No matter how hard I tried I would never really understand what Jeff has been through,” Gyllenhaal said, when asked how he approached the role. “I spent a lot of time with Jeff. There was not a moment that went by when we were filming that I was not thinking about (him).”
Bauman said he is “honored” to have Gyllenhaal play him in the film.
“He is a great guy. He works hard,” Bauman said. “He is a good role model.”
The Spaulding premiere marks Bauman’s third time seeing the film, but this time he viewed it with the people who worked alongside him in his recovery, many of whom are in the film. As they entered the building, attendees were met with cheers from a crowd of patients who gathered on the second floor, holding signs that read “Boston Strong,” ″Go Jeff” and “You give me hope.”
The movie hits theaters nationwide on Sept. 22. Bauman and Hurley, who had a daughter and got married in 2014 and separated this year, said they hope it inspires audiences to realize their strength.
“I think people would be surprised at how much they can handle,” Hurley said. “I definitely was surprised at how much Jeff and I could handle ... after this happened to us. I think that everyone can find the strength in themselves to handle tough situations.”


Han Solo’s ‘Return of the Jedi’ blaster sells for $550,000

Updated 24 June 2018
0

Han Solo’s ‘Return of the Jedi’ blaster sells for $550,000

  • The faux weapon, mainly made of wood, had been put on display in New York by Julien’s Auctions last month after more than 30 years tucked away in the belongings of James Schoppe, art director of “Return of the Jedi”
  • Martin Nolan, the auction house’s executive director, said Schoppe, an Oscar nominee for his work on the film, finally decided to part with Solo’s gun and about 40 other items from the movie, including an Ewok axe and plans for Jabba the Hutt’s ship

WASHINGTON: In the wildly popular “Star Wars” films, Han Solo once told a lightsaber-wielding Luke Skywalker: “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
That was the case when one of the blaster pistol props used by Harrison Ford in “Return of the Jedi” (1983) went under the hammer, selling for $550,000 — topping the $450,000 previously fetched by Skywalker’s lightsaber from the first two films.
“SOLD for $550,000! An original Han Solo blaster used in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi!” Julien’s Auctions announced on Twitter Saturday.
The faux weapon, mainly made of wood, had been put on display in New York by Julien’s Auctions last month after more than 30 years tucked away in the belongings of James Schoppe, art director of “Return of the Jedi.”
Martin Nolan, the auction house’s executive director, said Schoppe, an Oscar nominee for his work on the film, finally decided to part with Solo’s gun and about 40 other items from the movie, including an Ewok axe and plans for Jabba the Hutt’s ship.
The Ewok axe went for $11,250, while another blaster prop from the film fetched $90,624, according to Julien’s Auctions.
But none of the props were a match for the space saga’s much-loved droid: last year, an R2-D2 used in the making of several “Star Wars” films sold for $2.76 million at auction in Los Angeles.