Celine Dion in talks to headline Morocco’s Mawazine Festival

Celine Dion
Updated 30 January 2018
0

Celine Dion in talks to headline Morocco’s Mawazine Festival

JEDDAH: According to a report on Sayidaty.net, Celine Dion fans in North Africa might just get lucky this year, as the management of Morocco’s Mawazine Festival are negotiating with Dion to get the Canadian diva to headline this year’s edition, which will run from June 22 to 30.
Sayidaty claims that talks between Maroc Cultures Association, the festival organizers, and Dion, have already failed once, four months ago. The magazine alleges that Dion’s demands — including a performance fee of $218,500 in addition to expenses for a 160-member entourage — proved too expensive for the organizers. Sayidaty does not explain why Maroc Cultures Association feels that situation might have changed.
Mawazine is a critically acclaimed festival that boasts a truly eclectic, international lineup every year, bringing together luminaries of world music as well as huge international pop stars. Past editions have seen the likes of Rihanna, Stevie Wonder, Christina Aguilera, Elton John, Demi Lovato, Wiz Khalifa and Kylie Minogue take to the stage to perform to vast crowds. In recent years, attendance figures across the week have topped 2 million.


’Pig’ British tourists to be deported from New Zealand

Updated 16 January 2019
0

’Pig’ British tourists to be deported from New Zealand

  • The family have been involved in a string of incidents in the country, including accusations of littering, assault, not paying for restaurant meals and intimidating behavior
  • "They're worse than pigs and I'd like to see them out of the country," Auckland mayor said

WELLINGTON: Members of a British family have been branded “worse than pigs” and face deportation from New Zealand after a spree of bad behavior that left normally easygoing Kiwis outraged.
The family have been involved in a string of incidents in and around Auckland and Hamilton, including accusations of littering, assault, not paying for restaurant meals and intimidating behavior.
Auckland mayor Phil Goff led national outcry at the tourists’ antics, demanding the police take action. “These guys are trash. They are leeches,” he told a local radio station.
“If you say one time ‘I found a hair or an ant in my meal’ you’d believe it but they find it every meal that they have as a way of evading payment. That’s a criminal activity.
“They’re worse than pigs and I’d like to see them out of the country.”
New Zealand’s assistant general manager of immigration, Peter Devoy, said the family had been issued with a deportation notice on the grounds of “matters relating to character.”
One 26-year-old member of the family on Wednesday pleaded guilty to stealing NZ$55 ($37) worth of goods from a petrol station.
The family attracted extensive media coverage in New Zealand after a video showed them leaving beer boxes, bottles and other rubbish strewn on a popular beach.
When a woman asked them to clean up their litter, a child in the group can be seen on video threatening he would “knock your brains out.”
Stuff Media reported that one family member hit a journalist with her shoe after being approached for comment.
A member of the family told the New Zealand Herald they have now decided to cut short their holiday and will return home this week.
John Johnson insisted his family were of good stock, claimed his grandfather was the “10th richest man in England” and said he was made to feel “very unwelcome” in New Zealand.