3 killed, 4 injured in California bowling alley shooting

In a tweet, the Torrance Police Department said there were ‘reports of shots fired with multiple victims down.’ (Courtesy City of Torrance CA Government Facebook)
Updated 05 January 2019
0

3 killed, 4 injured in California bowling alley shooting

  • The Los Angeles Times reported the shooting took place at Gable House Bowl
  • Police urged people to ‘stay away from the area’

CALIFORNIA: Three men were fatally shot late Friday and four injured when a brawl at a popular Los Angeles-area bowling alley and karaoke bar erupted into gunfire that had terrified patrons, some children, running for their lives.
Police in the coastal city of Torrance responded shortly after midnight to calls of shots fired at the Gable House Bowl, which offers bowling, laser tag and an arcade. They found seven people with gunshot wounds.
Three men were pronounced dead at the scene and two were taken to a hospital, Sgt. Ronald Harris said. Two other men were struck by gunfire but "opted to seek their own medical attention."
Authorities have not identified the victims or suspects or released details about what led to the shooting. But witnesses said it stemmed from a fight between two large groups.
Dwayne Edwards, 60, of Los Angeles, said he received a call from his nephew that his 28-year-old son Astin Edwards was one of those killed. His nephew told him his son was attempting to break up a fight when a gunman "just started unloading."
"I'm thinking this is a dream and I'll wake up," Edwards told the Orange County Register. "He was a good kid. I don't understand it."
A grieving mother told KABC-7 her 28-year-old son, Robert Meekins, was among the victims killed. She said her son was a friend of Astin Edwards, and she believed he also tried to help break up the fight.
"They were friends so I know he probably jumped in and helped Astin and whoever he was with ... but I don't think my son deserves to die," Angeline Hubbard said.
Wes Hamad, a 29-year-old Torrance resident, was at the bowling alley with his 13-year-old niece and cousin when he saw a "huge fight" break out. Hamad said the brawl, which lasted about five minutes, blocked the entrance and spiraled into "complete chaos."
"I grabbed my niece and started running toward the far end of the bowling alley," he said. "As we were running, we heard 15 shots."
As he was leaving, Hamad said he saw a woman weeping over a man who was had gunshot wounds to his head and neck.
Damone Thomas was in the karaoke section of the bowling alley, a regular stop for him and his friends after work on Fridays, when people ran in saying there was a shooting. The 30-year-old Los Angeles resident said his friend flipped a table to shield them as they heard gunshots.
Thomas said he didn't feel scared because he was "just trying to survive." But when he was driving home he said he realized how traumatic the situation was and said he wasn't been able to fall asleep.
"Closing my eyes, all I can see is the women against the wall crying, not knowing what to do," he said.
Thomas and Hamad said they had never witnessed any violence there in the past, but Hamad said he had stopped going for a while because he heard someone with a gun was recently seen there.
"I definitely won't be going back anymore," he added.
In a tweet, California US Sen. Kamala Harris said her heart breaks for the victims.
"We must do more to address gun violence," she said. "Americans should be able to go to a bowling alley and be safe."


Official count shows Widodo reelected as Indonesian leader

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Official count shows Widodo reelected as Indonesian leader

  • Widodo’s challenger for a second time, former general Prabowo Subianto, has refused to accept defeat and declared himself the winner last month
  • Police this month have arrested 31 Islamic militants they say planned to set off bombs during expected street protests against the election result
JAKARTA, Indonesia: The official count from last month’s Indonesian presidential election shows President Joko Widodo won 55.5% of the vote, the Election Commission said Tuesday, securing him a second term.
The formal result from the April 17 election was almost the same as the preliminary “quick count” results drawn from a sample of polling stations on election day.
Widodo’s challenger for a second time, former general Prabowo Subianto, has refused to accept defeat and declared himself the winner last month.
Thousands of police and soldiers are on high alert in the capital Jakarta, anticipating protests from Subianto’s supporters.
Subianto has alleged massive election fraud in the world’s third-largest democracy but hasn’t provided any credible evidence. Votes are counted publicly and the commission posts the tabulation form from each polling station on its website, allowing for independent verification.
Counting was completed just before midnight and the Election Commission announced the results early Tuesday before official witnesses from both campaigns.
“We reject the results of the presidential election,” said Azis Subekti, one of the witnesses for Subianto. “This refusal is a moral responsibility for us to not give up the fight against injustice, fraud, arbitrariness, lies, and any actions that will harm democracy.”
Under Indonesia’s election law, Subianto can dispute the results at the Constitutional Court.
He and members of his campaign team have said they will mobilize “people power” for days of street protests rather than appeal to the court because they don’t believe it will provide justice.
In a video released after results were announced, Subianto again refused to concede defeat but called on supporters to refrain from violence.
Police this month have arrested 31 Islamic militants they say planned to set off bombs during expected street protests against the election result.