Clint Eastwood defends Trump: ‘Just get over it’

Clint Eastwood ... team Trump
Updated 04 August 2016
0

Clint Eastwood defends Trump: ‘Just get over it’

NEW YORK: Clint Eastwood has stopped short of endorsing Donald Trump, but in an interview in Esquire magazine he praised the Republican presidential candidate for being “on to something.”
In the interview posted online Wednesday, the actor-director hailed Trump as a foe of political correctness and lamented what he called the sycophantic generation.
“Everybody’s walking on eggshells,” said Eastwood, 86. “We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”
Eastwood, who spoke at the 2012 Republican convention — “that silly thing ... talking to the chair” — urged people to “get over it.”
“What Trump is onto is he’s just saying what’s on his mind. And sometimes it’s not so good. And sometimes it’s, I mean, I can understand where he’s coming from, but I don’t always agree with it,” he said.
Eastwood said he wasn’t endorsing anyone for president. But asked to choose between Trump and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton he said, “I’d have to go for Trump, you know, ‘cause she’s declared that she’s gonna follow in Obama’s footsteps.
There’s been just too much funny business on both sides of the aisle.”
If Clint Eastwood had to write a stump speech for this election? “Knock it off. Knock everything off.”
Eastwood’s film “Sully” — about Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, the airline pilot who became a national hero when he safely landed a US Airways plane on the Hudson River off Manhattan in 2009 — opens in September.


Man jailed for hoax bomb call so he could catch UK flight to Los Angeles

Jacob Meir Abdellak.
Updated 17 August 2018
0

Man jailed for hoax bomb call so he could catch UK flight to Los Angeles

  • He was running late for his flight and thought it would be a good idea to call in a hoax bomb

LONDON: A French man who was running late for his flight from London to Los Angeles tried to delay it by calling police to say there was a bomb on board.
Librarian Jacob Meir Abdellak, who lives in east London, made the call eight minutes before his 5.47 a.m. Norwegian Air flight from Gatwick Airport was due to leave on May 11 because he was significantly late and airline staff had refused to allow him on board, a court heard.
His hoax meant passengers had to be re-screened and take-off was delayed by 90 minutes. An investigation by Gatwick revealed that the hoax call had been made using the same number linked to his booking.
When Abdellak returned to the airport to take another flight to the United States on May 22, he was arrested.
He initially claimed he had lost his phone’s SIM card but on Tuesday pleaded guilty at Lewes Crown Court to communicating false information regarding a noxious substance likely to create serious risk to human health. He was sentenced to 10 months in prison.
“This was a quite ridiculous decision made by Abdellak, who fabricated an extremely serious allegation purely for his own benefit,” said Gatwick Police Chief Inspector Marc Clothier on Thursday.
“He was running late for his flight and thought it would be a good idea to call in a hoax bomb, however this turned out to be the worst decision he could have made.”