Panel reviews Riyadh transport project

Updated 15 May 2012

Panel reviews Riyadh transport project

The high committee for supervising the implementation of the public transport project in Riyadh held its first meeting yesterday. It was chaired by Riyadh Gov. Prince Sattam, who is also the head of the committee, at the headquarters of the Higher Commission for the Development of Riyadh.
Prince Mansour bin Miteb, minister of Municipal and Rural Affairs; Minister of Finance Ibrahim Al-Assaf; and Minister of Transport Jabara Al-Seraisry were also present.
Prince Sattam conveyed his thanks and gratitude to Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah and Crown Prince Naif, deputy premier and minister of interior, for the approval of the public transport project in Riyadh and the formation of a committee to oversee the implementation of the project.
The prince said this decision came as an extension of the king’s keenness to make life easier for citizens and touch the needs and ease the burdens on their shoulders. He said the project was the continuation of a long series of major development projects taking place in Riyadh and other cities of the Kingdom in this prosperous era.
The Ministerial Committee, he indicated, had been briefed on the visual presentation, including studies and plans prepared by the Higher Commission. These incorporate establishing an electric trains transport network and a parallel bus transport network.
Prince Sattam also briefed the committee on the specifications, designs and documents, presentation and implementation of the various components, including feasibility, traffic and economic studies.
The committee decided to form a preparatory committee for the technical development of operational steps to begin implementation of networks in electric trains and buses in Riyadh, which will be completed in four years.
The committee also decided to start immediate action concerning the qualification of corporate alliances and international institutions for the implementation of the electric train project in Riyadh.
The chairman of the committee stressed speeding up the completion of qualification and steps of implementation.


Saudi FM: Kingdom is seeking further oil cuts and achieving market balance

Updated 5 min 42 sec ago

Saudi FM: Kingdom is seeking further oil cuts and achieving market balance

RIYADH: Riyadh on Saturday rejected Moscow's claim that it was Saudi Arabia's withdrawal from the OPEC+ deal that led to the collapse of oil prices, saying it was Russia that pulled out of the agreement.

 

(Developing)