Terror threat puts Kingdom on top alert

Terror threat puts Kingdom on top alert
Updated 21 April 2015

Terror threat puts Kingdom on top alert

Terror threat puts Kingdom on top alert

Saudi Arabia has put security forces on alert for a possible militant attack on vital energy installations and popular shopping malls, Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki said on Monday.
“There was information about a possible terrorist attack targeting a mall or Saudi Aramco installation. We have passed this information to the security forces to be on alert,” Al-Turki said in a statement.
Al-Turki said he had no further information about the threat.
Riyadh has been carrying out airstrikes against Iran-allied Houthi rebels in Yemen since March 26 in Operation Decisive Storm for restoring the country’s legitimacy.
“Saudi Arabia is targeted by terrorism. Usually in such situations (conflicts), there are attempts by terrorist groups to take advantage and carry out attacks,” said Al-Turki.
On Saturday, guards at the gates of a central Riyadh shopping mall stopped single men from entering and searched the bags of female shoppers.
In 2006, four Al-Qaeda militants breached the gates of Saudi Aramco’s Abqaiq plant but couldn’t cause significant damage.
Since then Saudi Arabia has strengthened the security of energy infrastructure and set up a 40,000-strong force for the purpose.


Saudi TV says missile or drone intercepted over Riyadh

Saudi TV says missile or drone intercepted over Riyadh
Updated 23 January 2021

Saudi TV says missile or drone intercepted over Riyadh

Saudi TV says missile or drone intercepted over Riyadh
  • Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh
  • The Houthis did not immediately acknowledge launching a missile or a drone toward Riyadh

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia said Saturday it intercepted an apparent missile or drone attack over its capital, Riyadh, amid the kingdom’s yearslong war against neighboring Yemen’s Houthi rebels.
Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh. Saudi state TV quoted authorities in the kingdom acknowledging the interception.
The Houthis did not immediately acknowledge launching a missile or a drone toward Riyadh.
The Houthis have held Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, since September 2014. Saudi Arabia and its allies launched a war against them in March 2015 in support of Yemen’s internationally recognized government.
The war has been mired in a stalemate for years. Riyadh has been targeted in sporadic missile attacks in that time, while the Houthis also have launched missile and drone strikes.
Western experts, Saudi Arabia and the U.S. say Iran has supplied arms, including ballistic missiles to the Houthis. Iran denies that, though devices in the weapons link back to Tehran.