Pakistan monsoon flood death toll rises to 96

Updated 18 August 2013

Pakistan monsoon flood death toll rises to 96

ISLAMABAD: Floods triggered by monsoon rains have killed 96 people across Pakistan in the past two weeks and affected nearly 90,000 others, officials said Thursday.
“Up to 96 people have been killed so far and 99 others have been injured during the monsoon rains and floods so far,” an official in the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), told AFP.
“A population of 89,439 have been affected and 2372 houses were destroyed. Other 1909 houses were partially damaged by the rains and floods,” Rima Zuberi, a spokeswoman of NDMA, said.
Officials in the most populous province of Punjab, which has been hit hard this week by particularly heavy rains, said that they were still collecting damage reports from different districts.
Pakistan has suffered monsoon floods for the last three years and been criticized for not doing more to mitigate against the dangers posed by seasonal rains washing away homes and farmland.
In 2010, the worst floods in the country’s history killed almost 1,800 people and affected 21 million.
Streets in all major cities including Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad suffered intermittent flooding due to downpours over the last two weeks, damaging roads, buildings and houses.


Philippines places southern city in coronavirus lockdown

Updated 1 min 49 sec ago

Philippines places southern city in coronavirus lockdown

  • Lanao del Sur province and its capital, Marawi city, will fall under a lockdown due to infection spikes in recent weeks
MANILA: One southern Philippine province and its war-battered capital will be placed under a mild lockdown next month and the rest of the country will be under more relaxed restrictions to boost the battered economy of the country counting the most coronavirus infections in Southeast Asia.
President Rodrigo Duterte announced the quarantine restrictions for October in televised remarks Monday night. Lanao del Sur province and its capital, Marawi city, will fall under a lockdown starting Thursday due to infection spikes in recent weeks.
Most of Marawi’s commercial and downtown areas were destroyed after hundreds of Daesh group-aligned militants laid siege to the mosque-studded city in May 2017 and the military launched a massive offensive and airstrikes to quell the five-month uprising. Many residents remain displaced, now staying with relatives or in government-constructed housing units.
Duterte and officials did not provide more specifics on Marawi, but a mild lockdown would restrict most residents at home except for medical emergencies and buying food and other essential trips. Shopping malls and other vital businesses can operate partially but leisure and entertainment centers, along with fitness gyms and movie theaters should be closed.
Metropolitan Manila and five other cities will remain under general quarantine restrictions with more businesses and public transport allowed to partially operate on condition people wear face masks and shields and stay safely apart.
Classes in public schools are scheduled to resume online belatedly on Oct. 5 due to the pandemic.
The Philippines has confirmed more than 307,000 cases of coronavirus infection and 5,381 people have died from COVID-19 as of Monday.