Islam abuser handed 10 years

Updated 13 May 2014

Islam abuser handed 10 years

A criminal court in Jeddah has sentenced a Saudi man to 10 years in prison, in addition to 1,000 lashes and a SR1 million fine, for setting up a website and insulting Islam, an Arabic electronic newspaper reported on Wednesday.
Raif Badawi, the defendant, has rejected the court’s preliminary verdict, but the public prosecutor said he wanted tougher punishment for the Muslim man for attacking Islamic faith.
The appeal court had earlier nullified the court’s previous verdict on the man issued in Ramadan.
Badawi had been sentenced to seven years and three months and 600 lashes at the time.
The appeals court had also referred the case to another judge to give his verdict, sabq.org said. The previous judge had also ordered closing down Badawi’s website.
Speaking with Arab News, Dr. Mohammed Badahdah, assistant secretary-general of the World Assembly of Muslim Youth, said the verdict was issued mainly because of his attack on Islam and Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). “These are red lines that nobody should cross,” he said.
Badahdah criticized the double standard practiced by international human rights organizations that call for the release of Badawi. “These organizations close their eyes on rights violations in Syria, Burma and other countries,” he pointed out.
Saudi bloggers backed the court decision and said the man, being an apostate, deserved harsher punishment. “The punishment issued by the court is soft compared to the enormity of the crime committed by the man,” said Bandar, a blogger.
Others said the verdict would help the man change his narrative and appeal to God for pardon.
Another blogger urged the public prosecutor to explain his charges against the man.
“Let’s pray for the man in the hope that he will be guided on the right path,” said another blogger.


Curfew imposed in Saudi Arabia’s Dammam, Taif and Qatif governorates

Updated 59 min 39 sec ago

Curfew imposed in Saudi Arabia’s Dammam, Taif and Qatif governorates

  • An exception will be made to services and activities previously announced by the ministry
  • Saudi Arabia announced on Thursday five deaths from coronavirus and said that 165 new cases have been detected

DUBAI: A curfew in Saudi Arabia’s Dammam, Taif and Qatif will start on Friday 3p.m. until further notice, state news agency SPA reported, citing Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Interior.
An exception will be made to services and activities previously announced by the ministry. The decision is part of the country’s efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Saudi Arabia announced on Thursday five deaths from coronavirus and said that 165 new cases have been detected. Of the new cases, 48 were detected in Makkah and 46 in Madinah.
The interior ministry implemented a 24-hour curfew in the two holy cities on Thursday to limit the spread of coronavirus.