Renal failure patients ‘are most at risk’

Updated 24 May 2014

Renal failure patients ‘are most at risk’

Those suffering from renal failure are most susceptible to contracting the coronavirus.
This was revealed by Dr. Fuad Shairiyyeh, director of the Kidney Center at King Fahd General Hospital in Jeddah.
Speaking to Arab News, he said that the center received 20 patients with renal failure who had also contracted the MERS infection in the recent outbreak.
“All of them were placed in quarantine for treatment. Some of them suffered from severe complications, and the antiviral medicines given them failed to save their lives, because their immune systems were extremely weak. The virus was so virile that it damaged the cells of their pulmonary systems,” he explained.
He added that it was likely that they had contracted the disease while they were in the emergency room in the hospital.
“We have had no new cases for the last two weeks,” Shairiyyeh confirmed, adding that the center had been completely rehabilitated and sanitized with chemicals and steam. “All the equipment, floors and wards have been sanitized,” he said.
He said that all appointments for patient dialysis have been rescheduled in order to complete the sanitization procedures, and to prevent the arrival of any MERS case or anyone with similar symptoms.
“We receive a daily average of over 80 patients who suffer from renal failure. About 595 patients receive dialysis at the hospital,” he said.
He further said that all patients, prior to admission to the dialysis wards, are checked by having their temperature taken. In case anyone has a higher temperature or any MERS-like symptoms, they are promptly transferred to the emergency room for further tests and analyzes,” he said, adding that all patients are required to wear face masks as a precautionary measure.


British royal Meghan speaks about miscarriage in New York Times article

Updated 25 November 2020

British royal Meghan speaks about miscarriage in New York Times article

  • ‘Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few’

LONDON: Meghan, Britain’s Duchess of Sussex, has revealed that she had a miscarriage, an extraordinarily personal disclosure coming from a high-profile British royal.
The wife of Prince Harry and former actress wrote about the experience in detail in an opinion article published in the New York Times on Wednesday, saying that it took place one July morning when she was caring for Archie, the couple’s son.
“I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second,” Meghan wrote.
“Losing a child means carrying an almost unbearable grief, experienced by many but talked about by few.
“In the pain of our loss, my husband and I discovered that in a room of 100 women, 10 to 20 of them will have suffered from miscarriage. Yet despite the staggering commonality of this pain, the conversation remains taboo, riddled with (unwarranted) shame, and perpetuating a cycle of solitary mourning.”
The intimate details shared in the article are strikingly at odds with the usual policy of senior members of the British royal family, who reveal almost nothing about their personal lives.
Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, has never discussed her private life in any media interview in her 68-year reign.
Meghan and Harry stepped back from royal duties and moved to the United States earlier this year. They have been trying to forge a new role for themselves outside the constraints of life in Britain’s strictly codified royal bubble.