Bangladesh, India welcome court’s ruling on sea border

Updated 08 July 2014

Bangladesh, India welcome court’s ruling on sea border

DHAKA: Bangladesh and India on Tuesday welcomed an international court ruling which established their new sea border, ending a decades-long dispute over the resource-rich area.
Bangladesh Foreign Minister Mahmood Ali hailed the ruling announced Tuesday by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague as a “victory and a win-win situation for both sides.”
The court drew a new maritime border that awarded Bangladesh 19,467 square kilometers (7,516 square miles) of sea area out of a total disputed area of 25,602 square kilometers, the minister told reporters.
“It finally resolves peacefully and in accordance with international law a problem that had hampered the economic development of both states for more than three decades,” he said in Dhaka.
The minister said the ruling would enable Bangladesh to push ahead with exploring for gas and other resources in the Bay of Bengal, and also allow its fishing industry to flourish.
India also hailed the decision, saying it paved the way for further economic development between the two countries.
“We believe that the settlement of the maritime boundary will further enhance mutual understanding and goodwill between India and Bangladesh by bringing to closure a long-pending issue,” said foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin.
Bangladesh in 2012 resolved a sea border dispute with Myanmar which had been a frequent flashpoint between the two nations.
The maritime disputes had almost dashed Bangladesh’s plan to invite foreign companies to explore for hydrocarbons in the resource-rich Bay of Bengal after Myanmar and India objected to some of the sea blocks being offered.
Although Bangladesh’s energy ministry later redrew some of the blocks, it only attracted limited interest from foreign firms largely due to the disputes.


Denmark: Police foil suspected extremist terror attack plans

Updated 1 min 21 sec ago

Denmark: Police foil suspected extremist terror attack plans

  • Police did not give an exact number for the arrests
  • “We now have the situation under control.”, said chief of police Skov

COPENHAGEN: Danish police have arrested “some 20 people” suspected of involvement in Islamist terrorism in a series of raids across the country, authorities said Wednesday.
Flemming Drejer, the operative head of the Denmark’s Security and Intelligence Service, said the suspects were “driven by a militant, Islamist motive.”
Copenhagen Police Chief Inspector Joergen Bergen Skov said some of them would be charged under the Scandinavian country’s terror laws on Thursday behind closed doors.
“Some had have procured things to make explosives and have tried to acquire weapons,” Bergen Skov told a joint press conference with the domestic intelligence service.
Drejer, the intelligence chief, said the arrests won’t change Denmark’s terror threat assessment, which “remains serious.”
“We look with great severity on a case like this one because it unfortunately confirms that there are people that have the intention and capacity to commit terror (attacks) in Denmark,” Drejer said.
Bergen Skov said police raided about 20 addresses in Denmark and six police departments across the country were involved. The raids and arrests were coordinated by the Copenhagen police.
No details were given as to what the target was or when an attack would take place.
Danish authorities have reported foiling several extremist attacks in recent years, including ones linked to the 2005 publication in a newspaper of 12 cartoons by various artists depicting the Prophet Muhammad.
A Danish court earlier this year gave a Syrian asylum seeker in Sweden a 12-year prison sentence for planning to explode one or more bombs in Copenhagen and stabbing random people with kitchen knives. Moyed Al Zoebi, 32, acted on behalf of the Daesh group, according to the Copenhagen City Court.
Al Zoebi had an accomplice, Dieab Khadigah, who was sentenced in Germany in July 2017 to a prison term of six-and-a-half years.
On Feb. 14, 2015, lone gunman Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein killed two people in separate shootings in Copenhagen, before being shot dead by police.