Iran continues to threaten global peace: Al-Jeffery

Mohammed bin Amin Al-Jeffery
Updated 28 November 2017

Iran continues to threaten global peace: Al-Jeffery

ROME: Criticizing Iranian policies in the region, Mohammed bin Amin Al-Jeffery, deputy chairman of the Shoura Council, said Tehran spends over $30 billion annually in supporting and promoting terrorism through its proxies.
He was addressing the NATO Parliamentary Assembly Joint Seminar of the Mediterranean and Middle East Special Group and the Sub-Committee on Transatlantic Defense and Security Cooperation at the Italian Parliament headquarters in Rome on Monday.
He said that Iran is utilizing all its resources to spread chaos in a number of countries in the region.
Al-Jeffery said Tehran is interfering in the internal matters of Arab countries and has a long history of supporting terrorism and armed groups.
The Shoura Council deputy chairman said that Saudi Arabia has never shown any hostility toward the Iranian people.
He said Iranian regime is still supporting the Houthi militia and providing the rebel group with arms including ballistic missiles, with which they recently tried to target Riyadh.
The international community, which is celebrating its victories against Daesh, he added, should not forget the dangers the Iranian regime poses to regional and global stability.
Al-Jeffery said that the nuclear deal with world powers did not prevent Iran from pursuing its aggressive policies in the region.
The Saudi official also highlighted the Kingdom’s efforts in Yemen. He said the Kingdom has extended material and moral support to the Yemeni people. Saudi Arabia, he said, is making efforts in collaboration with other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries to ensure peace and stability in Yemen.
Last week, Arab League foreign ministers held an emergency meeting in Cairo and expressed their full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and support for any measures it may take to counter Iranian threats. The Arab foreign ministers warned Iran to stop interfering in the internal affairs of their countries and end its support for Hezbollah and Houthi militias, and called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss Iranian aggression.
Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit said the missile that targeted Riyadh was “an Iranian message of aggression which is unacceptable in form and substance.”
He said: “The Iranian missile program poses a dangerous threat to the region and its security. Iranian threats have crossed a line, and they are pushing the region to the brink. Iran is adopting a sectarian strategy to fuel regional conflicts and is seeking to make Yemen a thorn in the side of Saudi Arabia and the Arab world.”
The secretary-general urged Tehran to “review its policies toward the region and stop its interference.”


Saudi Arabia welcomes Egypt’s new initiative for Libya

Updated 48 min 19 sec ago

Saudi Arabia welcomes Egypt’s new initiative for Libya

  • The Kingdom urged both the LNA and the GNA to implement a cease-fire immediately
  • Saudi Arabia also urged both to start negotiating under the auspices of the UN in order to establish safety in Libya

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia welcomed Egypt’s new initiative for Libya and president Abdel Fattah El-Sisi’s call for a cease-fire in the country on Saturday.
The Kingdom also welcomed all international efforts aiming to stop the fighting in Libya and encouraged negotiations based on the initiative, called the “Cairo declaration,” and recommendations made at the Geneva and Berlin conferences on Libya.
The Kingdom urged both eastern commander Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) and the rival Government of National Accord (GNA) to implement a cease-fire immediately.
Saudi Arabia also urged both to start negotiating under the auspices of the UN in order to establish safety and security in Libya and protect it from foreign interference.