UN agency appeals to Gulf states to plug Palestinian aid gap

A Palestinian boy pulls his brother as he sits in a wheeled-suitcase as he walks down a street in a refugee camp in Gaza City on January 23, 2018. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), set up after the 1948 creation of Israel that drove huge numbers of Palestinians from their homes, faces what the UN has described as the “most severe” crisis in its history as the US held back $65 million that had been assigned for it two weeks after President Donald Trump threatened future payments. (AFP/Mohammed Abed)
Updated 23 January 2018

UN agency appeals to Gulf states to plug Palestinian aid gap

NEW YORK: The UN agency for Palestinian refugees has asked European and Gulf donors to plug the $65 million funding gap created by the US decision to slash its contribution by more than half.

Pierre Krahenbuhl, commissioner-general of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), warned that schools and health clinics for Palestinians across the region could be shuttered as the agency seeks to raise a total of $500 million in the “Dignity is Priceless” campaign.

Krahenbuhl has been in funding talks with the EU, Belgium, Norway, Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands as well as looking to the Arabian Gulf, which has become a key donor in recent years.

“Saudi Arabia and the UAE have invested significantly in our reconstruction projects in Gaza in the aftermath of conflict,” Krahenbuhl told Arab News. “There is a renewed effort in mobilization that is required for our funding to become sustainable.”

Saudi Arabia was UNRWA’s third-biggest donor after the US and EU, Krahenbuhl said. Thanks also to large sums from Kuwait and the UAE, Arab League members met a decades-old pledge of funding 7.8 percent of the agency’s budget in 2015 and 2016, although the proportion dipped in 2017.

UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN members. The US, by far the largest contributor, said this month it would withhold $65 million of its $125 million donation.

President Donald Trump questioned the value of such funding and linked donations with the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. The State Department said UNRWA needed to make unspecified reforms.

Trump complained on social media that the US gave the Palestinians “hundreds of millions of dollars a year and get no appreciation or respect.” He said: “With the Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace, why should we make any of these massive future payments to them?”

Aid should not be withheld to gain leverage against the Palestinians, Krahenbuhl said. “It is very important to preserve humanitarian funding from political considerations.”

About 525,000 boys and girls in 700 UNRWA schools could be affected by US cuts, as could health clinics, and the decision could promote extremism and further destabilize the Middle East, said Krahenbuhl.

More than half of the 2 million people in Gaza depend on support from UNRWA and other charities. Palestinians say the cut in US funding could deepen hardship in the Gaza Strip, where the unemployment rate is already 46 percent.


Turkish police arrest journalist Altan a week after his release

Updated 13 November 2019

Turkish police arrest journalist Altan a week after his release

  • Altan and the others deny the charges against them
  • On Tuesday a higher court overruled the decision to release Altan, ordering his arrest on grounds that there was a risk of him fleeing

ISTANBUL: Turkish police detained prominent journalist and author Ahmet Altan late on Tuesday, a week after he was released from prison in his retrial on coup-related charges, Istanbul police said.

Before his release last Monday, the 69-year-old had been in jail since his arrest in 2016, two months after an attempted coup which Ankara says was orchestrated by the network of US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.

The journalist’s case has drawn criticism from human rights groups and Turkey’s Western allies. They are concerned by the scale of a post-coup crackdown against suspected Gulen supporters under President Tayyip Erdogan.

Altan smiled and waved as he was driven away by counter-terror squad police officers after being taken from his home in Istanbul, video and photos published by Turkish media showed.

He was taken to Istanbul police headquarters after a hospital check-up, state-owned Anadolu news agency reported.

Altan, his brother and other journalists were previously sentenced to life in jail for aiding Gulen’s network. Last week he was convicted again in a retrial, but released from jail given the time served.

Altan and the others deny the charges against them.

On Tuesday a higher court overruled the decision to release Altan, ordering his arrest on grounds that there was a risk of him fleeing, Anadolu reported.

Under last week’s verdict, Altan was sentenced to 10 years and six months in jail. Turkey’s high court had overruled the previous life sentences against him in July, sending the file back for re-trial.

Erdogan’s government has jailed more than 77,000 people pending trial since the failed putsch. Widespread arrests are still routine in a crackdown critics say demonstrates growing autocracy in Turkey.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, and his followers deny any involvement in the coup. Turkey has repeatedly called on the United States to extradite the cleric.