Arab allies and Middle East organizations voice support, solidarity with Saudi Arabia

Arab allies and Middle East organizations voice support, solidarity with Saudi Arabia
The UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, Palestine and Yemen affirmed their full solidarity with Saudi Arabia against all those who attempt to undermine or seek to harm the Kingdom’s policy. (AFP)
Updated 31 October 2018

Arab allies and Middle East organizations voice support, solidarity with Saudi Arabia

Arab allies and Middle East organizations voice support, solidarity with Saudi Arabia
  • Arab world affirms their full solidarity with Saudi Arabia
  • The statements, issued by each country’s official news agency, came following accusations against the Kingdom in the case of the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi

RIYADH: Arab nations affirmed Sunday their complete solidarity with Saudi Arabia against efforts to harm the Kingdom’s policy, position and sovereignty.
The statements, issued by each country’s official news agency, came following accusations against the Kingdom in the case of the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Khashoggi, a Saudi national who had been based in the US, has been missing since Oct. 2, when he visited the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to obtain marital documents.
Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, affirmed the UAE's deep appreciation for the Saudi leadership and praised its position as a major force to ensure regional security and stability and praised its positive role in all its initiatives and constructive policies 
He stressed, while there is a need to clarify the information related to this case, the repercussions of political incitement against the Kingdom are unacceptable.
King Salman received a phone call from Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Al-Khalifa, who reiterated Bahrain's constant stand with Saudi Arabia against anyone trying to harm it.
King Hamad affirmed his country’s categorical rejection of anyone who tries to undermine the policy and sovereignty of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain's united stand with Saudi Arabia, said a statement carried on the Saudi Press Agency.
Bahrain earlier expressed its gratitude of the important role played by Saudi Arabia, which “is considered the foundation for security and stability in the Arab and Islamic worlds.”
“Bahrain reiterates its firm stance with Saudi Arabia in all its policies and efforts to confront the various threats and risks facing the international community, extremism and terrorism, as well as the Kingdom’s efforts to promote international cooperation at various political, economic and security levels and its enormous potential in promoting peace and stability throughout the world,” said Bahrain News Agency.
Egyptian foreign ministry spokesman said it warns against "trying to exploit this issue politically against Saudi Arabia on arbitrary charges, and affirms its support for the Kingdom in its efforts and positions to deal with this event,” stressing the importance of revealing the truth of what happened in the context of a transparent investigation, and the danger of not waiting for the results of the investigations instead of the arbitrary charges.
Lebanese Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri said: “The position occupied by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the Arab and international societies puts it in the ranks of the central countries entrusted with the stability of the region and in support of Arab issues” and added the campaigns against it constitute a breach of this stability and rejected calls to drag the region towards further negative developments.
Oman’s foreign ministry said the Sultanate “supports the Kingdom in its efforts to clarify the truth, and verification before any hasty, prior judgments are made.”
The Jordanian government also affirmed the Kingdom’s central role in consolidating security, stability and peace and enhancing economic cooperation both regionally and globally.
Media minister Jumana Ghunaimat said in a press statement on Sunday that Jordan stands with Saudi Arabia in the face of any targeted rumors and campaigns aimed without relying on facts.
She stressed Jordan’s support for the Saudi position on the need to provide verified reason and justification to the investigation, stressing the strong strategic relations between the two Kingdoms.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Sunday expressed his appreciation for the firm stance of the Kingdom, which always stands side by the side with Palestine and the rights of its people.
Abbas also expressed his absolute confidence in the Kingdom, under the leadership of King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, stressing that Palestine was and will remain with Saudi Arabia, in a statement issued by the Palestinian News Agency.
Meanwhile, Yemen said the Kingdom is “being subjected to malicious and prejudicial tendencies due to its honorable and honest positions with issues regarding the Arab and Islamic nation and its leading roles in regional and international stability,” reported Yemeni news agency Saba
The cheap media and political targeting of Saudi Arabia will not deter the Kingdom from continuing its leading and pioneering role,” the statement added.
The Arab League rejected any threat to impose sanctions on the Kingdom, saying “it is totally unacceptable in the framework of relations between countries to threaten economic sanctions as a policy or instrument to achieve political or unilateral objectives.”
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) praised the Turkish-Saudi initiative of forming a joint working group and bringing together specialists from both countries to investigate the circumstances of Khashoggi’s disappearance in Istanbul, Turkey.
“The two countries are capable of presenting a model of bilateral cooperation in the most difficult circumstances, as well as the means to produce results that translate into their good intentions and the depth of good inherent in their leadership,” said OIC Secretary-General Dr. Yousef Al-Othaimeen.
The OIC stressed the importance of waiting for the results of the investigation conducted by Turkey, with the cooperation of Saudi Arabia, and not jump to premature conclusions, warning regional and international media to ensure accuracy and professionalism in their publications.
The Muslim World League (MWL) also added its voice to the growing chorus of support for Saudi Arabia in the ongoing investigation from Arab nations and organizations.
In a statement issued by the MWL on Sunday, Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Isa, the organization’s Secretary General issued a categorical rejection of any threats against the Kingdom.
Al-Isa added that provoking the Kingdom is a “provocation to the feelings of hundreds of millions of Muslims” who stand with the Kingdom.
He concluded that the MWL fully supports the stance of the Saudi government.


Yemeni conjoined twins ‘Yousuf and Yassin’ to fly to Riyadh under King Salman’s orders for medical examination

Yemeni conjoined twins ‘Yousuf and Yassin’ to fly to Riyadh under King Salman’s orders for medical examination
Updated 19 April 2021

Yemeni conjoined twins ‘Yousuf and Yassin’ to fly to Riyadh under King Salman’s orders for medical examination

Yemeni conjoined twins ‘Yousuf and Yassin’ to fly to Riyadh under King Salman’s orders for medical examination
  • King Salman ordered a speedy transfer
  • The conjoined twins are expected to arrive within the next few days

DUBAI: Yemeni conjoined twins “Yousuf and Yassin” will finally get the necessary medical examinations they need after King Salman ordered for their direct transfer from Yemen to Riyadh for the possibility of a separation surgery.
King Salman ordered a speedy transfer for the twins and their parents, the General Supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center and renowned pediatric surgeon Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rabiah said.
The conjoined twins are expected to arrive within the next few days, state news agency SPA reported on Sunday.
King Salman has previously ordered the transfer of conjoined twins from Mauritania to travel to Saudi Arabia to separate them. Their father, who accompanied them, said the procedures for transferring the twins to Riyadh were carried out easily.


Saudi Arabia offers condolences over Egypt train accident

Saudi Arabia offers condolences over Egypt train accident
Updated 19 April 2021

Saudi Arabia offers condolences over Egypt train accident

Saudi Arabia offers condolences over Egypt train accident
  • The train accident left 97 wounded after it derailed off its tracks

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said on Sunday it expresses its deep sorrow for the train accident north of the Egyptian capital Cairo.
A passenger train derailed earlier on Sunday in the city of Toukh in Qalyubia province, injuring around 100 people.
“The Kingdom expresses its sincere condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims, and to the Egyptian leadership, government and people, wishing the injured a speedy recovery,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.
Four train wagons ran off the railway while the train was traveling to the Nile Delta city of Mansoura from Cairo, Egypt’s railway authority said.
(With AP)


Saudi crown prince meets British PM’s envoy to the Gulf region

Saudi crown prince meets British PM’s envoy to the Gulf region
Updated 19 April 2021

Saudi crown prince meets British PM’s envoy to the Gulf region

Saudi crown prince meets British PM’s envoy to the Gulf region

JEDDAH: Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Salman met with the special envoy of the British prime minister for the Gulf Region, Edward Lister, early Monday in Jeddah.

During the meeting, they looked into ways to enhance Saudi-UK bilateral relations and discussed regional and international events of common interest.

The meeting was attended by Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz, Saudi ambassador to the UK; Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan; Minister of Commerce and Minister of Information-designate Majid Al-Qasabi, as well as the British ambassador to the Kingdom, Neil Crompton.


‘We must cooperate’ to curb virus, avoid tough measures, Saudi Ministry of Interior warns

‘We must cooperate’ to curb virus, avoid tough measures, Saudi Ministry of Interior warns
A Saudi woman walks on a social distancing marker at a shopping center, as preventive measures against the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia May 3, 2020. (REUTERS)
Updated 19 April 2021

‘We must cooperate’ to curb virus, avoid tough measures, Saudi Ministry of Interior warns

‘We must cooperate’ to curb virus, avoid tough measures, Saudi Ministry of Interior warns
  • Makkah police arrest 13 people for violating isolation, quarantine instructions

RIYADH: The Saudi Ministry of Interior (MoI) announced on Sunday that authorities have detected a surge of “worrying” behaviors in the Kingdom since the beginning of Ramadan, warning citizens to avoid ignoring anti-coronavirus health measures.

At a joint press conference between the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Health (MoH) and the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, MoI spokesperson Lt. Col. Talal Al-Shalhoub warned that the rising number of coronavirus cases in the Kingdom could potentially lead to citywide lockdowns, as well as the banning of certain activities.
“We must cooperate and not trivialize the dangers. We do not want to have to resort to tough measures,” he said.
Al-Shalhoub added that the Kingdom was continuing to crack down on rule-breakers and those who violate safety precautions, including people using social media to spread misinformation about safety measures and ways to circumvent them.
Meanwhile, Makkah’s regional police spokesman said that 13 people were arrested in Jeddah and Taif for violating isolation and quarantine instructions after they tested positive for coronavirus.
Preliminary legal procedures were taken against them and their cases were referred to the Public Prosecution. The MoI previously warned that violators will face up to a two-year prison sentence, a fine of up to SR200,000 ($53,300), or both.
Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly revealed that the Kingdom has seen a slight rise in the percentage of women contracting coronavirus, warning that the number of women coming forward to be vaccinated was lower than expected.
“We have also seen a rise in the number of female cases that become critical and end up needing intensive care. Women also make up 55 percent of the overall number of cases in the Kingdom,” he said.
The MoH announced that 917 new coronavirus cases were reported on Saturday, raising the total number of cases to 404,970.
There are now 9,445 active cases, 1,044 of which are in critical care.

INNUMBERS

404,970 Total cases

388,702 Recoveries

6,823 Deaths

Of the new cases, 402 were in Riyadh, 203 in Makkah and 131 in the Eastern Province. Baha and Jouf reported the lowest cases on Saturday, with just six cases each.
Al-Aly said that appointments for second vaccine doses would be automatically updated, following news that some appointments had been canceled. The Saudi strategy aims to immunize the largest number of people possible with at least the first dose, Al-Aly added.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah announced that more than 15 million people have benefited from its Eatmarna app.
The ministry said that only people who have taken at least the first dose of the vaccine will be permitted to perform Umrah, or pray at either the Grand Mosque in Makkah or the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah.
Violators will be prosecuted for attempting to perform the pilgrimage without the proper permissions, officials said, adding that authorities are encouraging safety precautions in order to ensure safe, smooth, and seamless pilgrimages for all visitors.
There were 907 new recoveries reported in the Kingdom, raising the total number of recoveries over the course of the pandemic to 388,702. The Kingdom’s death toll rose to 6,823 after 13 new coronavirus-related deaths were recorded.
Almost 7.1 million coronavirus vaccines have been administered in Saudi Arabia so far.

The Kingdom is now delivering vaccines at a rate of about 1.32 per second, or 114,471 each day. About 20.3 percent of the Saudi population have now been vaccinated.

The last day saw the completion of 51,225 PCR tests, bringing the total number of tests conducted in the Kingdom to 16,174,957.

 


Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption authority initiates a number of criminal cases

Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption authority initiates a number of criminal cases
Updated 19 April 2021

Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption authority initiates a number of criminal cases

Saudi Arabia’s anti-corruption authority initiates a number of criminal cases
  • The authority said crimes of financial and administrative corruption do not fall under the statute of limitations

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Oversight and Anti-corruption Authority (Nazaha) said on Sunday it had initiated a number of criminal cases and legal procedures.
Among the most prominent cases, a retired major general and two retired employees from the Ministry of National Guard were arrested for obtaining SR198 million ($52.8 million) from local companies and one foreign company in return for helping them win contracts.
In the second case, the former director general of projects at the Ministry of Higher Education and five businessmen were accused of establishing companies and obtaining ministry projects through them, exaggerating prices, obligating other companies contracted with the ministry to deal with them, and obtaining funds. Work is underway to calculate the amount of money that was embezzled.
In the third case, an employee working for the Foreign Ministry was arrested for having disbursed approximately SR733,000, in an irregular manner, from an account of one of the Kingdom’s embassies.
In the fourth case, an employee of the Ministry of Information was arrested for issuing 328 media licenses and receiving around SR700,000.
Two employees at a regional branch of the Ministry of Finance were suspended after two citizens bribed them with SR126,000 out of a total amount of SR8 million agreed upon, in return for facilitating payment of financial compensation.
In the sixth case, three employees in the Education Department in one of the governorates were suspended for obtaining SR624,000 in cash installments from a businessman in exchange for facilitating access to seven projects amounting to SR3.2 million.
The seventh case was in cooperation with the Ministry of Justice, where a notary was arrested in one of the regions for issuing a lost deed in an irregular manner to one of his relatives.
In cooperation with the Ministry of Interior, an officer with the rank of captain working in a regional branch of the General Directorate for Narcotics Control was arrested for obtaining SR35,000 from an expatriate, in exchange for holding a case related to his brother.
A further case involved a bank employee in one of the Kingdom’s governorates who was suspended for obtaining SR21,000 from some of the bank’s clients in exchange for completing their financing procedures.
And the last case involved two employees working in a municipality who were arrested for receiving SR25,000.