One dead as storm slams Oman and Yemen

At least one person was killed when tropical storm Luban slammed into the southern coasts of Oman and neighboring Yemen, Omani civil defense said Monday. (AFP)
Updated 15 October 2018

One dead as storm slams Oman and Yemen

  • Schools in southern Oman were closed last week as the storm gathered strength in the Arabian Sea
  • The man was found dead late Sunday in a valley in the province of Dhofar

ADEN: At least one person was killed when tropical storm Luban slammed into the southern coasts of Oman and neighboring Yemen, Omani civil defense said Monday.
The man was found dead late Sunday in a valley in the province of Dhofar, which borders eastern Yemen, the sultanate’s civil defense said.
News of the death came as a Yemeni official warned the storm had left the country’s eastern province of Mahra in “disaster.”
The area was a “disaster because of the torrential rains that hit the province and caused great losses to public and private property,” said Mahra governor Rajeh Bakrit, quoted by the official Saba news agency.
“The situation is catastrophic in the province and beyond the capabilities of the local authorities,” Bakrit said, calling on a Saudi-led coalition backing the internationally recognized government in Yemen’s war to step in and provide support.
For his part, Yemeni Prime Minister Ahmed bin Dagher called on international relief organizations to assist the eastern province.
Schools in southern Oman were closed last week as the storm gathered strength in the Arabian Sea.
But Oman’s Public Authority for Civil Aviation downgraded Luban from cyclone to tropical storm as it drew nearer to the coast.
In May, Cyclone Mekunu smashed into the Yemeni island of Socotra and southern Oman, killing at least 11 people.
The cyclone had isolated parts of Socotra island — part of a UNESCO-protected archipelago for its rich biodiversity — with the government also declaring it a “disaster” zone.


Yemeni government, STC discuss coalition under Riyadh Agreement

Updated 10 min 24 sec ago

Yemeni government, STC discuss coalition under Riyadh Agreement

  • Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed met on Thursday with STC representatives in Riyadh
  • The discussions between the two sides come under the Riyadh Agreement signed in November last year

DUBAI: The Saudi-backed government of Yemen met with the Southern Transitional Council (STC) to discuss the political components to form the new government as part of a power-sharing deal. 
Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed met on Thursday with STC representatives in Riyadh to outline reforms to unite national ranks between the anti-Houthi coalition, according to state news agency Saba New.
Both sides discussed the priorities of the new government to face existing challenges in the political, military, security, service and economic sectors. Sustainable reforms and addressing corruption, were also on the agenda. 
The discussions between the two sides come under the Riyadh Agreement signed in November last year. 
The new government will look to face current economic challenges in the war-torn country with the aim to stop the deterioration of the national currency exchange rate, as well as the humanitarian situation.

Meanwhile, President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi left Saudi Arabia and headed to the United States for medical treatment

The head of the country’s internationally-recognised government, who has lived in exile in Riyadh since the Iranian-aligned Houthi group captured the Yemeni capital Sanaa in 2015, has been treated for a heart condition since 2011.