Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor

Indian Bollywood actor Alok Nath is facing criminal charges filed by a a writer and producer, who has accused the veteran actor of raping her 19 years ago. (AFP file photo)
Updated 22 November 2018
0

Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor

  • Vinta Nanda, a writer and producer, has accused Alok Nath of raping her 19 years ago

MUMBAI: Indian police said Wednesday they had registered a rape case against Bollywood actor Alok Nath, a rare development in India’s burgeoning #MeToo movement, with very few accusations under investigation by the authorities.

Vinta Nanda, a writer and producer, has accused the veteran actor of raping her 19 years ago.

“Yesterday (Tuesday), Vinta Nanda visited Oshiwara police station (in Mumbai) and filed a complaint against Alok Nath.

“Investigations are on and an FIR (first information report) has been filed under section 376 of the IPC (Indian Penal Code),” deputy commissioner Paramjit Singh Dahiya told AFP. In a Facebook post published last month Nanda said she had been “brutalized and violated endlessly” by the popular star. She did not name him directly but dropped enough hints which led others in the Hindi film industry to quickly identify him on Twitter.  

Nath, 62, denies the allegations and has sued Nanda for defamation. He has also asked for a written apology and token compensation of one rupee.


US takes back $100 million from Afghan govt over corruption

Updated 19 September 2019

US takes back $100 million from Afghan govt over corruption

  • Pompeo said the US will still finish the massive project that involves five power substations
  • He blamed the “Afghan government’s inability to transparently manage US Government resources.”

KABUL: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says Washington is taking back $100 million intended for an Afghan energy infrastructure project, citing unacceptably high levels of corruption in the Afghan government.
In the harshly worded statement Thursday, Pompeo said the US will still finish the massive project that involves five power substations and a maze of transmission lines in southern Afghanistan. It just won’t be spending the money through Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s government, blaming the “Afghan government’s inability to transparently manage US Government resources.”
This follows an earlier statement, also from Pompeo, calling for “credible and transparent presidential election” when Afghans go to the polls Sept. 28.
The 2014 presidential election was marred by allegations of massive fraud, as was last year’s parliamentary vote.