Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief signs six agreements to boost aid to Yemen

KSRelief signed six agreements with a number of civil society organizations to boost humanitarian assistance to Yemen. (SPA)
Updated 09 January 2019

Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief signs six agreements to boost aid to Yemen

  • Saudi Arabia and the UAE pledged $500 million that will help around 13 million Yemenis in the coming months

JEDDAH: Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, supervisor general of King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center, on Wednesday signed six agreements with a number of civil society organizations to boost humanitarian assistance to Yemen.
Members of the coalition supporting the legitimate government in Yemen against the Iranian-backed Houthi militias have so far donated $18 billion in aid to help Yemen over three years.
The coalition is making efforts in coordination with different UN agencies to provide relief to the Yemenis.
In response to UN reports about worsening food security in Yemen, Saudi Arabia and the UAE pledged $500 million that will help around 13 million Yemenis in the coming months.
The center is also actively involved in the rehabilitation of children affected by the war.
The program aims to help the children return to their normal lives, through teaching them and practicing different sports, as well as field trips.
KSRelief plans to rehabilitate 2,000 children who were recruited by the Houthis.
KSRelief has provided treatment for more than 21,000 injured Yemenis, both inside and outside Yemen. A total of 6,452 Yemenis received treatment in private sector hospitals in Yemen, while 1,000 received treatment in Yemeni medical centers specializing in eye injuries.
KSRelief provides health services to all Yemeni people in coordination with the Yemeni Higher Relief Committee represented by the Yemeni Ministry of Health and Population, and local and international partners.


Saudi Arabia will ease COVID-19 lockdown from Thursday

Updated 32 min 22 sec ago

Saudi Arabia will ease COVID-19 lockdown from Thursday

  • Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said the easing will take place in phases
  • Al-Rabiah said the people of the Kingdom had shown a “high amount of responsibility"

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia will begin to ease its COVID-19 lockdown from Thursday.

Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said the easing will be done in phases and will depend on reports on the spread of the virus. 

The first phase will begin with expanding capacity to serve more patients and the second phase will include intensifying COVID-19 tests.

Speaking in a press conference on Monday, the Health Minister said the people of the Kingdom had shown a “high amount of responsibility in practicing social distancing.” 

--------

READ MORE: Saudi crown prince says COVID-19 will pass

Saudi Arabia reports 9 new COVID-19 deaths

--------

Rabiah said imposing the precautionary measures during an early phase of the pandemic had put the Kingdom in more control. 

The minister said that people should continue taking precautionary measures while leaving their homes by using facemasks and hand gloves.

The Health Ministry recorded nine new fatalities and 2,235 new cases of coronavirus in the Kingdom on Monday. The new deaths have increased the virus-related toll in Saudi Arabia to 399 and the total number of confirmed cases to 74,795. 

It also said the number of recoveries has risen to 2,148, raising the total number of recovered cases 45,668.