Saudi woman who fled Kingdom lands in Canada

Saudi teenager Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun (C) is welcomed by Canadian Minister for Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland (R) as she arrives at Pearson International airport in Toronto, Ontario, on January 12, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 13 January 2019

Saudi woman who fled Kingdom lands in Canada

  • Rahaf Mohammed Al-Qunun had first applied for asylum in Australia, before extending her request to Canada
  • An 18-year old Saudi woman who left Saudi Arabia claiming she was fleeing her family has landed in Canada after being offered asylum there

DUBAI: An 18-year old Saudi woman who left Saudi Arabia claiming she was fleeing her family has landed in Canada after being offered asylum there.

Rahaf Mohammed Al-Qunun had first applied for asylum in Australia, before extending her request to Canada.

She made her plea for asylum after landing at Bangkok airport, before later being placed “under the care” of the United Nations refugee agency, news agency AFP quoted a Thai official saying last week.

This was later confirmed by Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Thailand which also denied, in a tweet, that Riyadh had requested Al-Qunun’s extradition.

On Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Canada would accept Al-Qunun as a refugee.

The 18-year-old said she had planned to seek asylum in Australia and feared she would be killed if repatriated by Thai immigration officials who stopped her during transit.


Two workers killed at Saudi Arabia's SASREF oil refinery

Updated 22 min 1 sec ago

Two workers killed at Saudi Arabia's SASREF oil refinery

  • Another two contractors were injured at the SASREF plant in Jubail in the incident on Sunday

RIYADH: Two contract workers have been killed at an oil refinery in Saudi Arabia.

Another two contractors were injured at the SASREF plant in Jubail in the incident on Sunday, the company said.

“SASREF immediately activated response teams to identify the source of the incident and responded to the situation,” the statement said.

“The safety of our people and operations is a top priority.”

The company, which is owned by Saudi Aramco, said additional safety measures would be put in place to prevent incidents in the future.

The 305,000 barrel per day SASREF refinery had until September been a joint venture between Aramco and Royal Dutch Shell.

Aramco bought it as part of a strategy to expand its downstream operations.