Makkah hosts expo to raise awareness of drug dangers

1 / 3
Security and local officials participate in the opening ceremony of the drug awareness expo in Makkah on Sunday. (SPA)
2 / 3
Security and local officials participate in the opening ceremony of the drug awareness expo in Makkah on Sunday. (SPA)
3 / 3
Security and local officials participate in the opening ceremony of the drug awareness expo in Makkah on Sunday. (SPA)
Updated 10 March 2019

Makkah hosts expo to raise awareness of drug dangers

  • Preventive measures, including raising of awareness, are key components of Saudi Arabia's anti-drug addiction campaign.

JEDDAH: The General Directorate of Narcotics Control organized an exhibition in Makkah on Sunday to raise awareness about the dangers of drugs and their impact on individuals and society. 

The event was held with the participation of the assistant commander of the Royal Guard in Makkah, Maj. Gen. Sulaiman bin Fahd Al-Huthaili.

The commander of the Royal Guard’s 4th Security and Protection Battalion in Makkah, Adm. Khalid bin Ali Al-Akla, said: “Drugs today are the biggest threat to the youth. We have to stand united in the face of this destructive phenomenon, and fight it with all force and resolve through all the means possible in order to protect young people, who are at the center of the development process at all levels and represent the future leaders of our nation.”

The assistant director of drug control in Makkah, Adm. Mohammed bin Abdullah Al-Qurni, said: “Field work carried out by the directorate is accompanied by preventive measures aimed at raising awareness and protecting society.”

He added: “This exhibition … reflects the keenness of the Royal Guard in Makkah to clarify the impact of drugs on the minds and bodies of individuals.” 

He said the directorate “is ready to cooperate with all parties to eradicate this pandemic.”

Attendees visited the exhibition’s pavilions, where they were briefed on the various preventive programs being implemented. 


Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 14 August 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 262,959
  • A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 35 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,383 new cases of the disease on Friday.

Of the new cases, 81 were recorded in Makkah, 77 in Hail, 69 in Jeddah and 63 in Riyadh.

The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 262,959 after 2,566 more patients recovered from the virus.

A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.

On Thursday, the health ministry announced Saudi Arabia had conducted more than 4 million COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests since the beginning of the outbreak.