Almost 950 killed in a month of Syria violence

Since April 30, regime and Russian fire has killed 288 civilians including 67 children, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. (AFP)
Updated 01 June 2019
0

Almost 950 killed in a month of Syria violence

  • Almost a third of the dead are civilians

BEIRUT, MOSCOW: A spike in violence in and around an opposition bastion in northwest Syria has killed 948 people in a month, almost a third of them civilians.

A September deal was supposed to avert a full-out regime offensive on Idlib province and adjacent areas held by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham.

But the regime and its Russian ally have since late April ramped up deadly airstrikes and rocket fire on the opposition stronghold, and fighters have clashed on its edges.

Since April 30, regime and Russian fire has killed 288 civilians including 67 children, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Jihadist rocket fire has killed a further 22 civilians including 10 children in regime-held territory, the Britain-based monitoring group said.

Meanwhile, the Kremlin said on Friday it was Turkey’s responsibility to stop rebels in Idlib from firing on civilian and Russian targets, signalling it would continue to back a Syrian regime offensive there despite Ankara’s protests.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin late on Thursday that he wanted a cease-fire in Idlib to prevent more civilian deaths and a refugee influx to Turkey.

Erdogan also told Putin by phone that Syria needed a political solution, Erdogan’s office said in a statement.

“We really do need a cease-fire in Idlib and what needs to be achieved is for the terrorists to stop firing on civilian targets and on certain facilities where our troops are located,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. “...This is the responsibility of the Turkish side.”


Third Algerian protest figure detained within a week

Updated 19 September 2019

Third Algerian protest figure detained within a week

  • Fodil Boumala was arrested on Wednesday evening in front of his home
  • He was detained pending trial on accusations of “undermining national unity”

ALGIERS: An Algerian court on Thursday ordered the pre-trial detention of a leading figure in protests that have gripped Algeria for nearly seven months, one of his lawyers said.
Former state TV journalist Fodil Boumala was arrested on Wednesday evening in front of his home in an eastern suburb of the capital, his lawyer Abdelghani Badi said on Facebook.
Boumala was detained pending trial on accusations of “undermining national unity” after a hearing with an investigative judge at an Algiers court, his lawyer added.
He is the third protest movement figure to be detained on the same charge within a week, following Karim Tabou a week ago and Samir Benlarbi on Tuesday.
The arrests come as the army toughens its line on the demonstrations that have regularly thronged the streets of Algiers and other areas since late February, continuing despite the April resignation of president Abdelaziz Bouteflika after 20 years in power.
On Wednesday, the military ordered police to block protesters from outside the capital entering Algiers, days after a presidential election was announced for December despite pushback from demonstrators.
Army chief General Ahmed Gaid Salah has led the push for polls by the end of the year.
But protesters have demanded political reforms and the removal of the former president’s loyalists — including Gaid Salah himself — before any legitimate vote can be held.
The police have made multiple arrests in Algiers before the start of Friday rallies in recent weeks.
Officially, demonstrations had been banned in Algiers since 2001, but the prohibition had been ignored since the demonstrations started in February against the ailing Bouteflika’s bid for a fifth presidential term.
According to the coordinator of the National Committee for the Release of Prisoners, 22 protesters arrested last Friday were placed in pre-trial detention on Sunday.
In Relizane, 300 kilometers (190 miles) west of Algiers, two people were killed in overnight clashes between security forces and protesters angered by the death of a teenager in an accident involving a police car, the prosecution said Thursday.
The fighting broke out as the demonstrators tried to storm the town’s police station and find the police officer who had been driving the car when it hit the 15-year-old’s motorbike, killing him.
Two people wounded during the clashes later died, the prosecution said.