Crew member injured during blast filming for new James Bond movie

‘Bond 25’ will be the fifth time actor Daniel Craig portrays the suave 007 agent. Above, an advertisement on a street in Tokyo’s Ginza district featuring Craig as James Bond. (AFP)
Updated 05 June 2019

Crew member injured during blast filming for new James Bond movie

  • The exterior of a stage had also been damaged in the blast
  • ‘Bond 25’ will be the fifth time Craig portrays the suave 007 agent

LONDON: A crew member working on the new James Bond movie was injured during the filming of a controlled explosion at Pinewood Studios outside London, producers have said.
A statement issued on Tuesday said the exterior of a stage had also been damaged in the blast.
“During the filming of a controlled explosion on the set of Bond 25 today at Pinewood Studios, damage was caused to the exterior of the 007 Stage,” the statement said, referring to the yet unnamed movie’s working title.
“There were no injuries on set, however one crew member outside the stage has sustained a minor injury.”
Last month producers said actor Daniel Craig, who plays the famous British fictional secret agent, had sustained a minor ankle injury during filming in Jamaica and would undergo surgery.
They added production would continue during Craig’s post-surgery rehabilitation and that the latest instalment in the spy franchise remained on schedule for a cinema release in April 2020.
“Bond 25” will be the fifth time Craig portrays the suave 007 agent. Oscar winner Rami Malek will play the international villain in the movie, directed by American Cary Joji Fukunaga.


Solid gold toilet stolen from English stately home

Updated 14 September 2019

Solid gold toilet stolen from English stately home

  • Toilet was created by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan and estimated to be worth around £1 million
  • A 66-year-old man was arrested following the burglary at Blenheim Palace

LONDON: A gang of thieves on Saturday stole an 18-carat gold toilet from Britain’s Blenheim Palace, police said, causing flooding that damaged the world-famous stately home.
The fully-functioning toilet, dubbed “America,” was created by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan and estimated to be worth around £1 million.
A 66-year-old man was arrested following the burglary, which took place before dawn at the 18th-century estate near Oxford, southern England.
The toilet was one of the star attractions in an exhibition of Cattelan’s works that opened on Thursday at the palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Visitors were able to book time slots to use it — but only for three minutes each, to limit the queues.
More than 100,000 people used the loo during the year it was on display at New York’s Guggenheim Museum.
“The offenders broke into the palace overnight and left the scene at about 4.50am (0350 GMT). No-one was injured during the burglary,” police said in a statement.
Detective Inspector Jess Milne of Thames Valley Police said she believed “a group of offenders used at least two vehicles” — and left a mess behind them.
“The piece of art that has been stolen is a high-value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace,” she said.
“Due to the toilet being plumbed into the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding.”
Blenheim Palace said it was “saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved no-one was hurt.”
It closed on Saturday but said it would reopen on Sunday.

The palace is home to the 12th duke of Marlborough and his family, and was also the birthplace of British wartime leader Winston Churchill.
The duke’s brother, Edward Spencer-Churchill, who founded the Blenheim Art Foundation, said last month he was relaxed about security around the gold toilet.
“It’s not going to be the easiest thing to nick,” he told The Times newspaper.
“Firstly, it’s plumbed in and secondly, a potential thief will have no idea who last used the toilet or what they ate. So no, I don’t plan to be guarding it.”
He added: “Despite being born with a silver spoon in my mouth I have never had a shit on a golden toilet, so I look forward to it.”
Cattelan, who is known for his provocative art, has previously described the golden toilet as “one-percent art for the 99 percent.”
The Guggenheim had offered the loo on loan to US President Donald Trump, but he declined.
The Italian artist’s exhibition at Blenheim runs until October 27 and includes a taxidermied horse hoisted onto the ceiling of an ornate reception room.
Blenheim has previously hosted exhibitions of work by Ai WeiWei, Yves Klein, Jenny Holzer, Michelangelo Pistoletto and Lawrence Weiner.
Police said they were looking at CCTV footage to help them in the search for the gold toilet, adding that nothing else was believed to have been stolen.