Saudi Human Rights Commission slams ‘biased’ UN report on Khashoggi case

UN special rapporteur Agnes Callamard. (AFP)
Updated 23 June 2019

Saudi Human Rights Commission slams ‘biased’ UN report on Khashoggi case

  • The statement concluded by calling on the UN and others to respect Saudi Arabia’s judicial process, and not to politicize the case

RIYADH: The Saudi Human Rights Commission (HRC) has slammed a report by UN Special Rapporteur Agnes Callamard suggesting that the US-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was the victim of a premeditated extrajudicial execution, for which the Kingdom is responsible.
The HRC stressed the report was biased and stemmed from prejudice, which neither reflects reality nor complies with the code of conduct for the work of UN special rapporteurs.
In a press statement, the HRC suggested Callamard’s assertions had breached UN principles of impartiality, objectivity and professionalism. The report, it added, constituted interference in the Kingdom’s internal affairs, contained clear contradictions regarding the evidence of the case, and ignored the directive issued by King Salman to conduct a comprehensive and transparent investigation into the incident.

NUMBER 11

So far, 11 people have been charged in connection with the death of Khashoggi. Trial proceedings are being followed publicly, and in the presence of all parties involved in the case.

So far, 11 people have been charged in connection with the death of Khashoggi. Trial proceedings are being followed publicly, and in the presence of all parties involved in the case, including the family of Khashoggi and their legal representatives, as well as representatives of the HRC and the diplomatic missions of a number of countries, including Turkey.
The HRC also stressed that judicial action taken in this regard fully complies with the relevant regulations of the Kingdom, as well as with international human rights standards, particularly over guarantees to a fair trial. The statement concluded by calling on the UN and others to respect the Kingdom’s judicial process, and not to politicize the case.


Saudi Embassy evacuates 300 tourists from Lebanon

Updated 19 October 2019

Saudi Embassy evacuates 300 tourists from Lebanon

  • The embassy said that evacuees were escorted to Rafic Hariri International Airport in Beirut by Lebanese security forces to guarantee their safety
  • Three Saudia aircraft were used to transport them

BEIRUT: Saudi Arabia's embassy in Lebanon has confirmed it has facilitated the “evacuation of Saudi residents and visitors” from the country.
“The evacuation operation, imposed by the security situation in Lebanon and the importance of ensuring the safety of Saudi nationals, started Saturday at 5 a.m. after the Kingdom secured three Saudia aircraft to transport them,” the embassy told Arab News.
“Three hundred people were evacuated as of Saturday afternoon, while the total number of those wishing to leave remains unclear. We have identified a hotel in Beirut as a starting point,” it added, noting that most of those who had left were tourists.
The embassy also confirmed evacuees were escorted to Rafic Hariri International Airport in Beirut by Lebanese security forces to guarantee their safety.
Protests broke out in Lebanon on Thursday night, and disorder has disrupted roads leading to the airport, with burning tires blocking several key routes.
On Friday, the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged its citizens already in Lebanon to exercise “utmost caution.”
Egypt’s Embassy in Beirut also called on its nationals in the country to avoid protest areas, Egyptian state news agency MENA said.
“The embassy calls on all Egyptian citizens in Lebanon to avoid the areas of gatherings and protests, to be careful in their movements and to abide by the instructions of the Lebanese authorities in this regard,” MENA reported.
Meanwhile, Kuwait’s Embassy in Lebanon asked citizens wishing to travel to the country to delay trips where possible.
“The embassy also calls on citizens currently in Lebanon to take utmost care and stay away from crowds and demonstrations,” it said on social media site Twitter.
Bahrain and the UAE warned against travel to Lebanon and called on their citizens in the country to leave immediately.