Clashes erupt in Yemen’s Aden, killing one

Yemen’s southern separatists pray during a funeral of Brig. Gen. Muneer Al-Yafee and his comrades killed in a Houthi missile attack, in Aden, Yemen, August 7, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 07 August 2019

Clashes erupt in Yemen’s Aden, killing one

  • The UAE called for calm and urged for communication and dialogue
  • UN envoy to Yemen says he is alarmed by the military escalations in Aden

JEDDAH: Southern separatists clashed Wednesday with presidential guards in Aden, the seat of Yemen’s government, with one person killed and at least two badly injured, local officials and residents told Reuters.
The separatists and the internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi are united in their battle against the Iranian-backed Houthi militia but tensions have previously spilled over between the groups.
The clashes Wednesday took place after hundreds of separatist supporters attended a funeral for some southern troops and a prominent commander.
The funeral took place near the hilltop presidential palace and shooting was exchanged between presidential guards and the crowd.
UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash called for calm, saying communication and dialogue, not violence, was needed.
The UAE, along with Saudi Arabia, is a member of the Arab military coalition supporting the internationally recognized government.
The United Nations special envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, said he was “alarmed by the military escalations in Aden, including reports of clashes in the vicinity of the Presidential Palace.”

“I am also deeply concerned by the recent rhetoric encouraging violence against Yemeni institutions,” he said.

(With Reuters and AFP)


Libya’s navy intercepts about 150 Europe-bound migrants

Updated 19 October 2019

Libya’s navy intercepts about 150 Europe-bound migrants

  • Three rubber boats with 148 Arab and African migrants were stopped off Libya’s western towns of Zuwara and Sabrata
  • Libya has emerged as a major transit point for migrants fleeing war and poverty to Europe

CAIRO: Libya’s coast guard says it has intercepted around 150 Europe-bound migrants off the country’s Mediterranean coast.
Spokesman Ayoub Gassim said Saturday the migrants had been returned to shore and would be taken to a detention center in the capital, Tripoli.
Gassim said the three rubber boats with 148 Arab and African migrants were stopped off Libya’s western towns of Zuwara and Sabrata Friday, and included 15 women and 11 children.
Libya has emerged as a major transit point for migrants fleeing war and poverty to Europe. In recent years, the EU has partnered with Libya’s coast guard and other local groups to stem the dangerous sea crossings.
Rights groups, however, say those policies leave migrants at the mercy of armed groups or confined in squalid detention centers rife with abuses.