Bolton: No sanctions relief until Iran stops lying and spreading terror

US National Security Advisor John Bolton said Iran needs to stop lying and spreading terror. (File/AFP)
Updated 07 September 2019

Bolton: No sanctions relief until Iran stops lying and spreading terror

  • “Tehran thinks it’s more important to fund the murderous Assad regime than provide for its own people,” says US official

RIYADH: Iran will not receive any sanctions relief until the regime stops lying and spreading terror, a top US administration official said.

US National Security Advisor John Bolton said, “We can talk, but #Iran’s not getting any sanctions relief until it stops lying and spreading terror!”

Bolton tweeted a picture showing what appears to be a satellite image of the Iranian ship, the Adrian Darya.

“Anyone who said the Adrian Darya-1 wasn’t headed to #Syria is in denial,” President Donald Trump security advisor wrote on Friday.

“Tehran thinks it’s more important to fund the murderous Assad regime than provide for its own people,” Bolton said.




Bolton tweeted a picture showing what appears to be a satellite image of the Iranian ship Adrian Darya-1

The Adrian Darya, which carries 2.1 million barrels of Iranian crude worth some $130 million, switched off its AIS beacon just before 1600 GMT Monday, according to the ship-tracking website MarineTraffic.com. The ship was some 45 nautical miles (83 kilometers) off the coast of Lebanon and Syria, heading north at its last report.

The tanker, which was pursued by the US across the Mediterranean Sea, slowed to a near-stop on Sunday off the coast of Syria.

The US has sanctioned the Adrian Darya’s captain and has sought to impound the vessel.

Iranian officials have said the oil onboard the Adrian Darya had been sold to an unnamed buyer. However, anyone buying Iranian crude oil would be subject to US sanctions.

— with AP


Dubai government employees to start returning to work on Sunday

Dubai's Sheikh Zayed Road deserted during the coronavirus curfew imposed by authorities. (AFP)
Updated 33 min 40 sec ago

Dubai government employees to start returning to work on Sunday

  • Emirate is ‘heading in the right direction’ as it gradually reopens following success in handling pandemic

DUBAI: Half of Dubai’s government employees can return to their offices on Sunday, and the rest will be able to go back on June 14, the emirate’s government announced Wednesday.

The return to work will, however, be made with “intensified precautionary measures,” to protect workers, Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed said. 

“Our investments in the future paid off sooner than expected,” he also said on Twitter. “It is reassuring to know we’re heading in the right direction.”

Many businesses across retail, entertainment, sports and fitness industries have already been allowed to reopen. On Monday, Dubai announced it would be easing restrictions on movement, allowing people to move freely between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m. from Wednesday. 

Sheikh Hamdan also hailed the Dubai government’s handling of the crisis, saying no “vital services were affected despite the precautionary measures and movement restrictions imposed.”

The UAE reported 31,086 coronavirus cases as of Tuesday; with more than half of those infected having recovered. The country’s death toll currently stands at 253.