UN relief coordinator thanks Saudi Arabia for supporting humanitarian efforts in Yemen

Workers prepare to unload a fuel shipment from an oil tanker at the port of Hodeidah, Yemen October 17, 2019. (Reuters)
Updated 18 October 2019

UN relief coordinator thanks Saudi Arabia for supporting humanitarian efforts in Yemen

RIYADH: The Under Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock thanked Saudi Arabia for supporting UN efforts to address the humanitarian situation in Yemen on Thursday. 

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths also spoke at the UN Security Council meeting and  thanked Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for his efforts in supporting the Yemen peace talks   

Griffiths added that the UN team's efforts in Hodeidah has also helped reduce violence. 

Meanwhile, Kuwait's permanent representative at the UN ambassador Mansour Al-Otaibi said that his country was ready to host a new round of negotiations between Yemeni sides. 

Kuwait previously hosted talks on Yemen in 2016 but they broke down after the Houthis rejected a UN proposal aimed at ending the war in the country.   


Massive explosions in Beirut kill and wound many, cause extensive damage

Updated 4 min 49 sec ago

Massive explosions in Beirut kill and wound many, cause extensive damage

  • Hundreds of casualties with many trapped in their homes
  • Cause of blasts, which was felt in Cyprus, unknown

BEIRUT: Two massive explosions in Beirut killed at least 10 people, wounded hundreds and caused extensive damage across the Lebanese capital.

The blasts took place at the city’s port area and were so large the explosions were felt in Cyprus 200 kilometers away. 

Even in a city with a history of conflict, the scale of the explosions was unprecedented.

Videos showed an initial blast and fire, followed by a massive explosion and shockwave spreading through the city’s buildings.

People could be heard screaming and running for cover in restaurants and from balconies. 

Buildings across the city were damaged, with windows blown out and ceilings collapsed.

Lebanon’s health minister Hamad Hasan said the explosion caused a “very high number of injuries.”

Lebanese Red Cross official Georges Kettaneh said there had been hundreds of casualties, including dead, wounded. He said many people remained trapped in their homes.

The cause of the blast remains unknown. An Israeli official told Reuters that the country had nothing to do with the blasts.

Lebanon's internal security chief Abbas Ibrahim said the explosions took place in a section of the port housing highly-explosive materials.

He declined to speculate about the cause of the explosion in Lebanon's capital, saying “we cannot preempt investigations.”

Prime Minister Hassan Diab declared a day of mourning for Wednesday.

*With agencies