Mexico flies 300 Indian migrants to New Delhi in ‘unprecedented’ mass deportation

Above, the Feria Mesoamericana park used as shelter by migrants including from India in Chiapas, southern Mexico. Most of the 300 deportees were from India’s northern Punjab state. (AFP)
Updated 18 October 2019

Mexico flies 300 Indian migrants to New Delhi in ‘unprecedented’ mass deportation

  • Mexico vowed to significantly curb US-bound migration in exchange for averting US tariffs on Mexican exports
  • Most of the deportees were from India’s northern Punjab state

MEXICO CITY/NEW DELHI: Mexico has deported over 300 Indian nationals to New Delhi, the National Migration Institute (INM) said late on Wednesday, calling it an unprecedented transatlantic deportation.
The move follows a deal Mexico struck with the United States in June, vowing to significantly curb US-bound migration in exchange for averting US tariffs on Mexican exports.
“It is unprecedented in INM’s history — in either form or the number of people — for a transatlantic air transport like the one carried out on this day,” INM said in a statement.
The 310 men and one woman that INM said were in Mexico illegally were sent on a chartered flight, accompanied by federal immigration agents and Mexico’s National Guard. They arrived in New Delhi on Friday.
Most of the deportees were from India’s northern Punjab state, an Indian official said. Police will run checks if any of them had criminal history, another official said.
INM said the deportees had been scattered in eight states around Mexico, including in southern Mexico from where many Indian migrants enter the country, hoping to transit to the US border.
The backlog of migrants in southern Mexico has grown as officials have stopped issuing permits for them to cross the country, said Caitlyn Yates, a research coordinator at IBI Consultants who has studied increasing numbers of US-bound Asian and African migrants arriving in Mexico.
“This type of deportation in Mexico is the first of its kind but likely to continue,” Yates said.


One dead after suspected suicide bombing in Indonesia

Updated 5 min 20 sec ago

One dead after suspected suicide bombing in Indonesia

  • The explosion happened around 8:45 a.m. local time (0145 GMT) at a police compound in Medan on Sumatra island
  • Unconfirmed local media reports said at least one police officer had been rushed to hospital after the bombing
MEDAN, Indonesia: A suspected suicide bombing outside a police station in Indonesia has left at least one attacker dead, authorities said Wednesday.

The explosion happened around 8:45 a.m. local time (0145 GMT) at a police compound in Medan on Sumatra island.

“We suspect this is a suicide bombing with one attacker killed,” national police spokesman Dedi Prasetyo told reporters in Jakarta.

An AFP reporter at the scene saw a body lying on the ground outside the station.

A police source who did not want to be named told AFP that the attack was perpetrated by at least two suicide bombers, but that was not officially confirmed.

Unconfirmed local media reports said at least one police officer had been rushed to hospital after the bombing but that their condition was not immediately known.

Police stations have been frequent targets for radicals in the world’s biggest Muslim majority nation, which has long struggled with Islamist militancy.

In August, Indonesian authorities shot and arrested a suspected militant who attacked police officers at a station in the country’s second-biggest city Surabaya.