Chinese buyout marks new chapter in British Steel history

British Steel, which makes high-margin, long steel products used in construction and rail, would give Jingye access to European infrastructure market. (AFP)
Updated 13 November 2019

Chinese buyout marks new chapter in British Steel history

  • UK Steel calls it ‘positive news’ for the steelmaking industry

LONDON: A Chinese buyout marks a new chapter in the tumultuous history of steelmaking in the UK, which has been characterized by nationalization, privatizations and recurring crises.

Despite having an economy dominated by the services sector, steelmaking retains a special place in British hearts, where it is an enduring symbol of a bygone golden industrial age.

That explains the huge interest in Monday’s announcement of a buyout of British Steel by China’s Jingye, which made national headlines even with an election campaign in full swing.

The takeover should be a breath of fresh air for some 4,000 British Steel employees, most of whom work at the Scunthorpe site in northern England.

Professional body UK Steel called it “positive news for British Steel and its workers,” assessing it would go toward “delivering a sustainable future” for the industry.

Jingye for its part has promised to invest £1.2 billion (€1.4 billion, $1.5 billion) over the next decade, without elaborating on how it will turn around the loss-making firm.

FASTFACTS

•China’s Jingye has promised to invest $1.5 billion over the next decade.

•The takeover is seen as a breath of fresh air for some 4,000 British Steel employees.

•British Steel has its roots as far back as the Industrial Revolution but took shape in 1967.

“It’s not a huge investment,” said Jonathan Owens, director of the business and management program at Salford University, and a former worker at British Steel.

“My worry would be that it is only a short-term investment. Are they just buying the knowledge of the high-quality steel production that goes on at Scunthorpe?”

So far Jingye has only said it would keep on as many employees as possible, without committing to a figure, and said cost-cutting would be necessary. It is difficult to say if the Chinese group will succeed where others have failed to ensure a future for British Steel, which is responsible for one-third of the country’s production.

British Steel has its roots as far back as the Industrial Revolution but took shape in 1967 when the Labour government nationalized the industry, which at the time employed nearly 270,000 people.

The 1980s were painful, as global demand declined and steel plants turned loss-making. A series of strikes saw the Conservative government under the “Iron Lady” Margaret Thatcher privatize the firm in 1988. That signaled the start of a long decline that involved deep cuts in the workforce, the closure of sites and the loss of the company’s name before Tata Steel bought it in 2007.

In 2016, the investment fund Greybull Capital bought part of its activities for a symbolic one pound.

Greybull Capital brought back the name British Steel for its long steel products business, mainly in rail and construction, hoping to make it a European leader. But the dream did not become a reality and it went bust in May this year.

The slump again reflected difficulties in the sector, which now employs no more than about 32,000 people and has been hit by fierce competition from China and uncertainty over Brexit cutting demand from European clients.

The relaunch of British Steel, which is the second-biggest steelmaker in the country, will face as much scrutiny as the future of Tata Steel, which currently holds the top spot.

The Indian giant has revealed little of its plans for the UK since the recent failure of a tie-up between its European business and Germany’s Thyssenkrupp, prompting fears for the future of Tata’s Port Talbot plant in south Wales.

Port Talbot employs some 4,000 of Tata’s 8,000 employees in Britain.

A third business is still trying to make its mark, the Liberty House group of the British-Indian tycoon Sanjeev Gupta.

He has quietly built up his portfolio, notably by buying out steelmaking firms in former industrial areas, and is reported to be interested in some British Steel assets.

Another potential investor is the government, although under the ruling Conservatives it has been quieter on big industrial issues in recent years.


Aramco shares to make debut as biggest IPO gets bigger

Updated 11 December 2019

Aramco shares to make debut as biggest IPO gets bigger

  • Samba Capital, NCB Capital and HSBC Saudi Arabia issued a statement late Monday
  • Saudi subscribers were allocated 96.6 percent of the retail offering

LONDON : Saudi Aramco shares make their stock market debut on Wednesday as it emerged that the oil giant could raise even more from its already record-breaking share sale.

Aramco will exercise its 15 percent “greenshoe option” either in part or in whole during the first 30 days of its trading period, its lead managers said.

A greenshoe option is financial jargon for a clause that allows an underwriter the right to sell investors more shares than planned if demand proves higher than anticipated.

Samba Capital, NCB Capital and HSBC Saudi Arabia issued a statement late Monday confirming an earlier report on the Al Arabiya news channel citing an NCB Capital executive.

It means the share sale could generate as much $29.4 billion if exercised fully. The main IPO raised $25.6 billion on Thursday.

Samba Capital said that the IPO was hugely oversubscribed, attracting aggregate subscriptions of SR446 billion, representing coverage of 465 percent.

The listing and trading of the company’s shares on Tadawul starts just four working days after the end of the subscription phase, Samba noted.

The number of individual subscribers was 5.056 million, who bought SR49.2 billion worth of shares.

Saudi subscribers were allocated 96.6 percent of the retail offering with non-Saudis (expatriates and GCC nationals) getting 3.4 percent. 

For the institutional tranche, the final value of subscriptions totaled SR397 billion.

The Saudi Aramco IPO is a key part of the Kingdom’s plan to transform its economy by reducing its reliance on oil, developing its financial markets and attracting increased levels of foreign direct investment.

Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan said that the proceeds from Aramco’s IPO would be reinvested, helping to create more revenue channels for the government.

The Aramco IPO is expected to pave the way for more privatizations in the Kingdom.

“Privatization is at the top of the government’s priorities,” Al-Jadaan told reporters on Monday.

“We will continue to support big projects and will continue to support promising projects,” he said. “Enabling the private sector is the top priority of Vision 2030. We have more to come and our journey toward Vision 2030 demands