Iran-backed Houthi missile attacks are ‘threat to regional peace’

Nayef Falah Mubarak Al-Hajraf, secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 14 July 2020

Iran-backed Houthi missile attacks are ‘threat to regional peace’

  • Allies denounce latest attempt to target civilians in Saudi Arabia, and reiterate support for the Kingdom

JEDDAH: An attack on Saudi Arabia by Iran-backed Houthi militias on Monday morning drew widespread international condemnation, as allies expressed solidarity with the Kingdom.

Arab coalition forces successfully intercepted and destroyed four missiles and seven explosive drones fired across the border from Yemen.

The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the attack and vowed to support Saudi Arabia in all its defensive measures. Egypt also reaffirmed the importance of responding to all cease-fire initiatives as part of efforts to achieve peace in Yemen.

Describing the attacks as “blatant aggression,” the Republic of Djibouti reiterated its full support for the Kingdom in opposing all threats.

Nayef Falah Mubarak Al-Hajraf, secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), said such hostile Houthi actions against civilian targets, inside Yemen and in neighboring countries, are flagrant violations of international law. He also condemned Iran for supplying the Houthi militias with arms and ammunition, in defiance of UN Security Council Resolution 2216.

Al-Hajraf said these actions threaten regional stability and hinder efforts to achieve a political solution to the crisis in Yemen. Pledging the full support of the GCC for Saudi Arabia, he called on the wider international community to take action against forces determined to undermine the peace and security of the region.

Youssef Al-Othaimeen, secretary-general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, denounced the terrorist attacks and the forces behind them.

Pakistan also condemned the attacks, and praised the coalition forces for preventing the attempt to target civilians in the Kingdom. Islamabad reiterated its solidarity with Saudi Arabia in the face of threats to the security and territorial integrity of the Kingdom.

 

Related


Libya’s GNA govt detains 35 Egyptian fishermen

Updated 12 August 2020

Libya’s GNA govt detains 35 Egyptian fishermen

  • The GNA is still holding the fishermen without a clear accusation to justify their detention

CAIRO: The fate of at least 35 Egyptian fishermen hangs in the balance after they were arrested by the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) on Nov. 2 last year.  

The families of the fishermen have appealed to the Egyptian government to step up their efforts to secure their freedom as Cairo has been working on their release since November.

Little is known about the fate of the fishermen in Libya other than their location, after it was leaked to Egyptian authorities that they were held in the Turmina Prison, which is affiliated with the GNA.

The head of the Fishermen’s Syndicate in Kafr El-Sheikh, Ahmed Nassar, said they had not been able to communicate with the fishermen since last November and after their disappearance they came to learn that the GNA authorities had detained them.

The GNA is still holding the fishermen without a clear accusation to justify their detention. Nassar said that the fishermen were not fishing in Libyan territory without a permit.

Nassar explained that the fishermen were working on Libyan boats. Alongside them were a number of colleagues working on boats that belong to the Al-Wefaq government. They were not approached by anyone unlike their detained colleagues who were arrested and sent to prison without being charged with any crime.

The Fishermen’s Syndicate chief said that people had called on the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as the government, and the consular section had also been contacted about the matter.

Many of the detained fishermen come from Kafr El-Sheikh, while others come from Abu Qir in the governorate of Alexandria.

The fishermen had been supporting families of up to eight members.

Egyptian authorities say they are exerting great efforts to bring the fishermen back safely, while the fishermen’s families continue to demand safety and justice for the men.