6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor

6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
1 / 5
Security personnel inspect the wreckage of a vehicle at the scene of a blast in Aden. (AFP)
6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
2 / 5
Security personnel inspect the wreckage of a vehicle at the scene of a blast in Aden. (Reuters)
6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
3 / 5
People look at bodies of dead people covered with a blanket at the scene of a blast in Aden. (Reuters)
6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
4 / 5
Policemen and firefighters work at the scene of a blast in Aden. (Reuters)
6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
5 / 5
Policemen and firefighters work at the scene of a blast in Aden. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 11 October 2021

6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor

6 killed in Yemen as suicide bomb targets Aden governor
  • Yemeni president vows to bring attackers to justice
  • Saudi Arabia, US and UK denounced the attack as a "cowardly act"

AL-MUKALLA, Yemen: At least six people were killed and five injured on Sunday when a suicide bomber targeted the governor of the southern Yemen city of Aden.

Ahmed Hamed Lamlis and Agriculture Minister Salem Al-Soqatri were heading home after attending an event in Aden when an explosive-rigged car exploded near their convoy in the Tawahi district, which houses the headquarters of the separatist Southern Transitional Council.

Among the dead were the governor’s press secretary, his photographer, and the head of his security detail. “The governor is safe, thank God,” STC spokesman Ali Al-Katheri said.

No one admitted the bombing, but the STC blamed Yemen’s Muslim Brotherhood for orchestrating the attack to undermine “security achievements” in Aden.

President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi ordered security services in Aden to launch an immediate and comprehensive investigation into the incident to determine who carried out the attack and bring them to justice.

“Our battle with the forces of evil and terrorism and their tools and arms from the Houthi militia and Iran is an existential one,” Hadi said.

Yemen Prime Minister Maeen Abdul Malik Saeed called the attack a “cowardly terrorist operation,” and ordered security forces in the city to remain on high alert. Yemeni Information Minister Moammar Al-Eryani accused the Iran-backed Houthis, who are pressing ahead with a deadly offensive on the central city of Marib, of planning the attack in Aden to disrupt government efforts to bring peace to the liberated provinces.

“The crime, which coincides with the escalation by the Houthi militia in Marib and Shabwa, aims to shuffle the cards and thwart the government’s efforts to normalize the situation in the liberated areas,” he said.

Saudi Arabia, the US and UK denounced the assassination attempt.

"We condemn in the strongest and strongest terms the cowardly terrorist act that targeted the convoy of the Governor of Aden and the Minister of Fisheries," the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

Cathy Westley, the charge d’affaires of the US embassy in Yemen, said: “Such acts of terrorism will not succeed in undermining Yemeni and international efforts to end this war.”

She reiterated her support for the Yemeni government’s efforts to restore stability and improve the lives of all Yemenis.

“Horrific reports of attack on the governor’s convoy in Aden,” the British embassy in Sanaa said in a tweet, adding: “We condemn all acts of violence, especially those targeting officials in public service.” 

It added that “the people of Aden need security,” and called for implementing the Riyadh Agreement.

Lamlis, the STC secretary-general, was appointed Aden governor last year under the Riyadh Agreement, a power-sharing deal signed in late 2019. The agreement sought to defuse tensions between the STC and Yemeni government and paved the way for the formation of a new administration that included separatists, who agreed to rescind their controversial self-rule of southern provinces. Al-Soqatri, who is also a senior member of the council, was named minister of agriculture in the shared government formed last December.

Aden, Yemen’s interim capital, has been beset by violence since its liberation from Houthi forces in July 2015. In December that year, Aden governor Gen. Jaafar Mohammed Saad was killed when an explosives-rigged car ripped through his convoy.


US won't resume assistance to Sudan without civilian government

US won't resume assistance to Sudan without civilian government
Updated 7 sec ago

US won't resume assistance to Sudan without civilian government

US won't resume assistance to Sudan without civilian government

CAIRO: The United States will not resume economic assistance to Sudan that was paused after a coup unless there is an end to violence and a civilian-led government is restored, a statement posted by the US embassy in Khartoum on Thursday said.
The statement on a visit to Sudan by Assistant Secretary of State Molly Phee and Special Envoy for the Horn of Africa David Satterfield said the United States would consider measures to hold accountable those responsible for failure to move forward on a political process. 


UAE confirms 3,014 new COVID-19 cases

UAE confirms 3,014 new COVID-19 cases
Updated 20 January 2022

UAE confirms 3,014 new COVID-19 cases

UAE confirms 3,014 new COVID-19 cases
  • The UAE has one of the world’s highest vaccination rates at 233.98 doses administered per 100 people

DUBAI: The UAE on Thursday confirmed 3,014 new coronavirus infections, pushing active cases to 50,010 in the country.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention also said that 4 patients died as a result of COVID-19 complications.

An additional 1,067 individuals have recovered.

The country’s caseload stands at 816,945 known confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 2,204 deaths since the pandemic started.

The UAE has one of the world’s highest vaccination rates, at 233.98 doses administered per 100 people, with 23,141,751 vaccines provided so far.

Despite this, health authorities continue the call for residents to adhere to basic health and prevention protocols, including social distancing and wearing masks.

The World Health Organization earlier said new infections globally have increased by 20 percent over the past week, with nearly 19 million total reported cases, mostly attributed to the omicron variant.


Egypt FM outlines plans for COP27 climate summit

Egypt FM outlines plans for COP27 climate summit
Updated 20 January 2022

Egypt FM outlines plans for COP27 climate summit

Egypt FM outlines plans for COP27 climate summit

CAIRO: Egypt Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry has urged the global community to “move from the stage of pledges to the stage of actual implementation” on initiatives to combat climate change.

Shoukry, the president-designate of the UN climate change summit (COP27) to be held in Egypt in November 2022, held a phone discussion with Patricia Espinosa, executive secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, to outline Egypt’s preparations for the presidency of the next summit.

Following the talks Shoukry said that Egypt intends to build on the achievements of the Glasgow COP26 forum and "harness the rising international momentum to confront climate change."

He said that Egypt plans to take a leadership role in global climate action in coming months, as previously highlighted by President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi during the last session of the World Youth Forum.

Espinosa praised the work and coordination at all levels to enhance international efforts on climate change and ensure the next session of the conference in Egypt is a success.


Storm blankets Syrian tented camps in snow, at least one child dead

Storm blankets Syrian tented camps in snow, at least one child dead
Updated 57 min 30 sec ago

Storm blankets Syrian tented camps in snow, at least one child dead

Storm blankets Syrian tented camps in snow, at least one child dead
  • The child died and its mother was in intensive care after snow caused their tent to collapse in the Qastal Miqdad area

ZAITOUN CAMP, Syria: At least one child was killed in northern Syria this week when a storm blanketed tented camps in snow and brought freezing temperatures, compounding the misery of thousands of people displaced by the Mediterranean country’s decade-long war.
The child died and its mother was in intensive care after snow caused their tent to collapse in the Qastal Miqdad area, as a result of the storm that struck on Jan. 18, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
Two children were hospitalized due to the cold, it said.
“I was scared the tent would fall down on the kids,” Abu Anas said in Zaitoun camp in northern Syria, after his family fled from eastern Gouta, an area on the outskirts of Damascus that was devastated by the conflict.
“It is a miserable situation. No heating, a tent that is not suitable even for animals. Our situation is bad,” he said after Storm Hiba struck.
In his camp, people laid stones across puddles to create footpaths.
The United Nations, which warned about flooding once the snow started to melt, said 362 tents had been damaged in the region as of Jan. 19 and more than 400 families had been affected.
In the northern camp of Abraz, one of the worst affected places, families had to be evacuated, the United Nations said.
The storm also disrupted life elsewhere in Syria. In government-held areas, universities and other educational institutions postponed exams. Syria’s ports temporarily closed.
Syria’s civil war has killed hundreds of thousands of people, forced millions to flee their homes, creating one of the worst refugee crises since World War Two.
With Russian backing, the Syrian government has regained control of most of the country, driving rebel opponents to pockets of territory in the north.


Cruise missiles, drones used in Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi says ambassador

Cruise missiles, drones used in Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi says ambassador
Updated 20 January 2022

Cruise missiles, drones used in Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi says ambassador

Cruise missiles, drones used in Houthi attack on Abu Dhabi says ambassador

DUBAI: The Houthi attacks targeting civilian sites in Abu Dhabi were carried out with a battery of weapons including cruise missiles, and drones, the UAE Ambassador to Washington Yousef Al-Otaiba said.

It is the first time the UAE has said missiles were used in Monday’s attack in which three people were killed and seven others were injured.

The Houthi militia launched a number of drones and ballistic missiles, causing three tankers to explode near storage facilities owned by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADNOC).

There was also a fire at a construction site at Abu Dhabi during the attack.

Al-Otaiba said the UAE intercepted some of the missiles.

Earlier, the ambassador called on the US to Support re-designating the militia as a terrorist Organization.

In response to the attacks, US President Joe Biden said on Wednesday his administration was considering re-designating the Houthis an international terrorist organization.

The UAE had "long left the Yemen war," Otaiba said in his comments to JINSA. "Attacking a country that is not in combat makes a very clear case" to reinstate the Houthi terrorist designation.