Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico

Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico
1 / 4
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti, Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain, Mar. 19, 2023. (Reuters)
Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico
2 / 4
Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema shoots at goal, Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain, Mar. 19, 2023. (Reuters)
Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico
3 / 4
Barcelona’s Franck Kessie celebrates with teammates after scoring his team’s second goal, Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain, Mar. 19, 2023. (AP Photo)
Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico
4 / 4
Barcelona players celebrate at the end of the match, Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain, Mar. 19, 2023. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 20 March 2023
Follow

Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico

Ancelotti: ‘We did not deserve to lose’ El Clasico
  • Real Madrid opened the scoring through an own goal by Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo in the ninth minute
  • Barcelona replied through goals by Sergi Roberto and Frank Kessie in the 45th and 90th minutes

RIYADH: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti expressed his disappointment after a 2-1 defeat to Barcelona in El Clasico, saying, “We did not deserve to lose.”

Real Madrid opened the scoring through an own goal by Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo in the ninth minute.

Barcelona replied through goals by Sergi Roberto and Frank Kessie in the 45th and 90th minutes.

Barcelona jumped to 68 points in the league table, 12 points ahead of Real Madrid, who lie second.

Ancelotti said at the press conference: “The points difference is bigger now and it has become more difficult, but we will do our best until the last match. Honestly, we didn’t deserve to lose. We tried our best, we played well and scored a goal. We were about to win the match.”

He added: “We are sad, but proud of the match we played, We tried everything, We haven’t won it due an off-side, we still have doubts about it, and we will return to Madrid with those doubts still in our minds.”


Red Bull F1 boss Horner cleared of inappropriate behavior

Red Bull F1 boss Horner cleared of inappropriate behavior
Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Red Bull F1 boss Horner cleared of inappropriate behavior

Red Bull F1 boss Horner cleared of inappropriate behavior
LONDON: Red Bull team chief Christian Horner was cleared Wednesday of wrongdoing following an investigation into complaints of inappropriate behavior against him made by a female team member.
A statement from Austrian energy drinks brand Red Bull, the parent company of the world champion Formula One team, said the “grievance has been dismissed.”
Horner, who has been team principal since 2005, denied the allegations made against him and was subjected to a lengthy interview by an independent London lawyer acting as investigator, who submitted a report to Red Bull.
The lawyer’s report was delivered on Tuesday and has been considered by Red Bull directors.
In a statement, Red Bull GmbH said: “The independent investigation into the allegations made against Mr.Horner is complete and Red Bull can confirm that the grievance has been dismissed.
“The complainant has a right of appeal. Red Bull is confident that the investigation has been fair, rigorous and impartial.
“The investigation report is confidential and contains the private information of the parties and third parties who assisted in the investigation and therefore we will not be commenting further out of respect for all concerned.
“Red Bull will continue striving to meet the highest workplace standards.”
Horner flew to Bahrain from London on Wednesday, but was not present at the circuit for a media day ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend.
He is expected to be on the pit wall for the opening practice sessions on Thursday.
Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reported the allegation of “inappropriate behavior” by a female member of staff for the British-based team earlier this month.
Asked about the accusations, Horner, 50, told De Telegraaf: “I completely deny these claims.”
Formula One chiefs had said they wanted the issue resolved at the “earliest opportunity.”
Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff described the investigation as “an issue for all of Formula One” and called for transparency.
Under Horner’s guidance, Red Bull have become the dominant force in Formula One, with Max Verstappen winning the past three drivers’ titles.
Horner, who is married to former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, has been in charge of the team since they entered Formula One 19 years ago.
During that time he has overseen seven drivers’ world championships and six constructors’ titles.
Red Bull dominated the 2023 season, winning 21 of the 22 races as Verstappen defended his drivers’ crown.

Saudi Paralympic weightlifters participate in Dubai’s Fazza Para powerlifting championships

Saudi Paralympic weightlifters participate in Dubai’s Fazza Para powerlifting championships
Updated 20 min 23 sec ago
Follow

Saudi Paralympic weightlifters participate in Dubai’s Fazza Para powerlifting championships

Saudi Paralympic weightlifters participate in Dubai’s Fazza Para powerlifting championships
  • Saudi participants who win gold, silver or bronze qualify for Paris 2024 Olympics
  • Mohammed Al-Harbi, president of the Saudi Weightlifting Federation, heads 12-player team

DUBAI: The Saudi Paralympic weightlifting team hopes taking part in the Fazza 13th Para Powerlifting 2024 World Cup will mean qualification for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.
The championships, which started on Wednesday, are being held in Dubai until Mar. 6. Saudi participants who win gold, silver or bronze medals are automatically eligible for the 2024 Olympics.
Mohammed Al-Harbi, president of the Saudi Weightlifting Federation, heads a 12-strong team that comprises Adnan Bousaid, Talal Al-Balawi, Asil Hausawi, Tariq Balghaith, Saeed Hausawi, Khalid Al-Najim, Sulaiman Al-Shaddoukhi, Abbad Hausawi, Fajr Al-Sumairy, Shareefa Al-Amari, Hassna Al-Najm, and Maha Al-Rashidi.


Saudi Arabia’s PIF, ATP announce multi-year strategic partnership to accelerate tennis growth

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund on Wednesday announced a “multi-year strategic partnership” with the ATP. (PIF)
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund on Wednesday announced a “multi-year strategic partnership” with the ATP. (PIF)
Updated 50 min 32 sec ago
Follow

Saudi Arabia’s PIF, ATP announce multi-year strategic partnership to accelerate tennis growth

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund on Wednesday announced a “multi-year strategic partnership” with the ATP. (PIF)
  • PIF’s Head of Corporate Brand Mohamed AlSayyad: “Through our collaboration with ATP, PIF will be a catalyst for growth of the global tennis landscape”
  • Massimo Calvelli, ATP CEO: “It’s a shared commitment to propel the future of the sport”

RIYADH/LONDON: Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund and the Association of Tennis Professionals have signed a multi-year strategic partnership that marks a significant shared commitment to developing global tennis for players, fans, tournament organizers and stakeholders at all levels.
The agreement means the PIF becomes the official name partner of the ATP Rankings, celebrating players’ journeys and progress and championing excellence.
PIF’s Head of Corporate Brand Mohamed AlSayyad said: “Through our collaboration with ATP, PIF will be a catalyst for growth of the global tennis landscape, developing talent, fostering inclusivity and driving sustainable innovation.”
He added the partnership aligned with PIF’s broader vision of enhancing quality of life and driving transformation in sport, both within the Kingdom and across the world.
ATP CEO Massimo Calvelli added: “It’s a shared commitment to propel the future of the sport. With PIF’s dedication to the next generation — fostering innovation and creating opportunities for all — the stage is set for a transformative period of progress.”
PIF will partner with ATP Tour events in Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid, Beijing and the Nitto ATP Finals in Milan, as well as the Next Gen ATP Finals to be hosted in Jeddah until 2027.
The two bodies will also collaborate to elevate the long-term future of tennis. PIF will actively contribute to ATP’s OneVision Strategic Plan which focuses on driving unity, enhancing fan experiences and leveraging scalable growth opportunities across the sport.


Saudi Arabia keep ICC U19 Cricket World Cup qualification hopes alive after Bhutan thriller

Saudi Arabia keep ICC U19 Cricket World Cup qualification hopes alive after Bhutan thriller
Updated 28 February 2024
Follow

Saudi Arabia keep ICC U19 Cricket World Cup qualification hopes alive after Bhutan thriller

Saudi Arabia keep ICC U19 Cricket World Cup qualification hopes alive after Bhutan thriller
  • Bhutan finished on 178 all out after 47 overs
  • Faisal hit the winning boundary for the Saudis

BANGKOK: Saudi Arabia beat Bhutan by one wicket in a thrilling ICC U19 Cricket World Cup Asia Group B qualifying match in Bangkok on Wednesday, keeping their tournament progression hopes alive.

Bhutan won the toss for the match, held at the Thai capital’s Terdthai Cricket Ground, and elected to bat first. They started well against the medium pace of Fahad Munir and slow left-arm spin of Ahmed Faisal.

Faisal took the opening wicket as Tshering Rigden was bowled for 18 from 18 balls, but number three batter Tenzin Rabgay went for his shots and played well with opener Ronak Pradhan, who batted more cautiously. They combined to bring up a 50-run partnership for the second wicket and Bhutan were well-placed at 83 for the loss of one wicket after 15 overs.

Rabgay’s innings ended on 44 from 38 balls after he was bowled by Arhan Arif with the score on 85, and Saudi Arabia took their third wicket as Anuj Pradhan was dismissed by Taha Vaseem.

Bhutan were 95 for 3 after 20 overs, progressing to 152 for 3 by the 36th. However, Saudi Arabia’s bowlers were containing their opponents well, having been in the field for 50 overs against Oman in their previous match.

Vaseem was the pick of the Saudi bowling attack, managing to claim four wickets for 27 runs as Bhutan lost their last seven wickets for just 26 runs. They ended up on 178 all out after 47 overs.

Saudi Arabia’s openers both looked confident in pursuit, but Shahzad Sami was bowled lbw to Sangay Dorji for 9 and captain Rayyan Khan was caught behind off Ugyen Dorji for 12, leaving the young Greens on 24 for 2 after just four overs.

Mohammad Zuber and Mohammad Rehan came together in the middle needing to rebuild for Saudi Arabia. The score reached 47 in eight overs and 56 for 2 by the end of the 10-over powerplay.

By the time the third Saudi wicket went down, Rehan had been joined by Hashir Ahmad. With the target less than 100 runs away, the match turned into an intriguing battle between the Saudi batsmen and the Bhutan spinners.

Bhutan’s captain, Tshering Rigden, alternated his bowling attack well and forced Saudi Arabia into a collapse of their own in the middle batting order. The Greens fell from 96 for 3 to 117 for 8, still needing 54 runs for victory.

Number 10 batter Faisal, who hit 22 runs off 62 deliveries, played a superb anchor role and forged a priceless 52-run ninth wicket partnership as Saudi Arabia crawled towards their target, even while losing their penultimate wicket on 169 still needing 10 to win.

With just four runs required in the final over, it was player-of-the-match Faisal who won the match for the Saudis, hitting a crucial boundary with just four balls remaining.

The win means Saudi Arabia’s hopes of progress in the tournament are still alive and in their own hands — a victory over Hong Kong on Friday will secure them a semi-final place.

Oman confirmed their place in the semi-finals in Group B on Wednesday, with a 53-run victory over Hong Kong at the Asian Institute of Technology Ground.


Jordan, Nepal to contest WAFF Women’s Championship final in Jeddah

Jordan, Nepal to contest WAFF Women’s Championship final in Jeddah
Updated 28 February 2024
Follow

Jordan, Nepal to contest WAFF Women’s Championship final in Jeddah

Jordan, Nepal to contest WAFF Women’s Championship final in Jeddah
  • Match will take place at Prince Abdullah Al-Faisal Stadium on Thursday

JEDDAH: Jordan and Nepal will face off in the final of the West Asian Football Federation Women’s Championship after completing victories in their respective semi-finals on Tuesday evening in Jeddah.

Jordan booked their place in Thursday’s final at Prince Abdullah Al-Faisal Stadium in Jeddah after beating Palestine 5-0, with goals coming from Maysa Jbarah (on 27 and 83 minutes), Lana Feras (34), Sarah Abu Sabbah (59), and Enas Al-Jamaeen (86).

In the other semi, Lebanon took the lead in the 37th minute through an own goal by Puja Rana, but Nepal equalized 15 minutes from the end through star striker Sabitra Bhandari before Preeti Rai snatched victory with a goal in stoppage time.