DUBAI: Jeddah’s Red Sea International Film Festival has announced the film selection for its “New Saudi, New Cinema: Shorts” program.
The films selected for the “New Saudi, New Cinema: Shorts” program are a representation of Saudi Arabia’s upcoming talent, reflecting the “We Dream, We Achieve” motto of the 93rd Saudi National Day.
The 19 films selected for screening at the Red Sea International Film Festival range from 44 minutes to 5 minutes in length and cover a range of subjects, from confronting extremism to managing social change to overcoming personal struggles. The films are all produced by Saudi teams, with Saudi nationals as the lead creatives, while most films also used the Kingdom as their production or shooting location.
Mohammed Al-Turki, the CEO of the Red Sea Film Foundation, said in a statement, “This program is reflective of our continued commitment to support Saudi filmmaking talent. We want to encourage the dreamers of today to become the filmmakers of tomorrow – the “New Saudi, New Cinema: Shorts” will empower those dreamers.”
Four films in the selection – “Art Block,” “Salem’s Legs,” “Jameel Alsaeed” and “The Last Thread” –were made during the third edition of the 48 Hour Film Challenge, organized by the Red Sea Film Foundation last month.
Full list of films in the program:
- “Khaled Al Sheik\h Between Two Fires, Art and Politics,” directed by Jamal Koutaiby
- “The Last Winter,” directed by Hayder Dawood
- “Street 105,” directed by Abdulrahman Aljandal
- “Detour,” directed by Dhafer Alshehry
- “The Ride,” directed by Hania Bakhushwain
- “Fishbowl,” directed by Reema Almajed
- “I’m Fine,” directed by Faisal Alzahrani
- “Fiasco Run,” directed by Sultan Rabea
- “Kum-Kum,” directed by Dur Jamjoum
- “,”directed by Afnan Bawyan
- “The Menace From Above,” directed by Mariam Khayat
- “Fishy,” directed by Alabbas Hamidaddin
- “Antidote,” directed by Hassan Saeed
- “The Old School,” directed by Abdulla Alkhumais
- “Art Block,” directed by Abdulrahman Batawie
- “The Last Thread,” directed by Jwana Alzahrani
- “Salem’s Legs,” directed by Talal Almusaad
- “Jameel Alsaeed,” directed by Osama Khalifa
- “Hadi Aleis,” directed by Abdullah Saharti