Tehran: Mina crush was ‘beyond human control’

Updated 03 October 2015

Tehran: Mina crush was ‘beyond human control’

JEDDAH: Iran’s health minister has praised Saudi Arabia’s rescue and medical efforts after the stampede in Mina last week.
Hassan Hashimi, at a meeting with his Saudi counterpart Khalid Al-Falih in Jeddah on Wednesday, said that the Kingdom’s ambulance and other teams had done well to transport the injured to hospitals in the region.
Hashimi said the incident was out of human control and that people should surrender to the will of Allah. He praised the Kingdom for the services it provides every year for pilgrims under difficult circumstances.
The parties agreed to ensure that the Iranians who died in the stampede would be sent home as soon as possible, and provide continued care for those hospitalized with injuries.
Al-Falih sent the condolences of the Saudi government and Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman to the Iranian people for their loss. He said the Kingdom was willing to cooperate with the Iranian government on the matter.
The statements of the Iranian minister comes in the wake of the Kingdom criticizing sections of Iranian society for trying to politicize the crane crash in Makkah and the Mina stampede, which saw the loss of hundreds of lives.
Meanwhile, Al-Falih held a meeting with Egyptian Health Minister Ahmed Emad Al-Deen Radi to discuss the situation of injured Egyptian pilgrims. Al-Falih said the Kingdom was providing them top quality services.


Pregnant women in Saudi Arabia warned to take special care during pandemic

Updated 11 min 2 sec ago

Pregnant women in Saudi Arabia warned to take special care during pandemic

  • The ministry’s recommendations come as many have expressed concerns about the impact of the infection on their health

JEDDAH: Pregnant women have been told to take special care in following precautionary measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Saudi Ministry of Health has cautioned, as they are thought to be particularly at risk from complications.

The ministry’s recommendations come as many have expressed concerns about the impact of the infection on their health. The ministry has reiterated the importance of practicing hand hygiene, maintaining social distancing to limit the spread of the virus and wearing a mask in public at all times, especially in areas where it's hard to observe social distancing.

The ministry announced a total of 3,036 new cases of in the Kingdom on Wednesday, bringing to 220,144 the number of people in Saudi Arabia have now contracted the disease.

There were 60,035 active cases, 2,263 of them critical.

37 percent of the newly announced cases are female, 63 percent are male. Of those infected, 86 percent were adults of working age, 5 percent were over 65 and 9 percent were children.

3,211 new recovered cases have been announced, taking the total number of recoveries to 158,050, while 42 new deaths were reported, raising the death toll to 2,059.

The ministry urges everyone to use the self-assessment service in the “Mawid” application or to visit Tataman clinics that have been set up by the ministry for those who feel they are displaying COVID-19 symptoms; there are 237 such clinics.

It also recommends calling 937, its central operator, for consultations and inquiries around the clock.