Houthis have no intention of implementing Swedish agreement, says coalition

Col. Turki Al-Maliki, spokesman for the coalition, said there had been continuous violations committed by the Iran-backed Houthis ever since the cease-fire came into effect. (SPA)
Updated 08 January 2019
0

Houthis have no intention of implementing Swedish agreement, says coalition

  • The retired Dutch Major General Patrick Cammaert is overseeing the team keeping track of the agreement reached last month in Sweden

RIYADH: Arab coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said on Monday that Houthi militias continue to violate terms of the Swedish cease-fire agreement in Yemen.

He accused the militias of blocking UN aid ships carrying food from moving from Hodeidah to the port of Sanaa. 

“The Houthi militias are obstructing relief and humanitarian work,” said Al-Maliki. “This is a violation of international humanitarian law, and a disruption of what was agreed in the Swedish agreement.” 

Under the terms of the agreement, signed in Hodeidah, Houthi forces were to withdraw from the city and the port within 14 days. Militiamen were also expected to withdraw from the ports of Salif and Ras Issa to the north of Sanaa. 

Al-Maliki, though, claimed that fighters continue to dig trenches in the province to store weapons, have deployed snipers and banned armaments, and used the area to launch two ballistic missiles after the agreement was signed in December.

Al-Maliki also praised the efforts of the UN team assigned to monitor the cease-fire.

The retired Dutch Major General Patrick Cammaert is overseeing the team keeping track of the agreement reached last month in Sweden.

Al-Maliki said the Houthi militia continues to dig trenches, and use dirt mounds to camouflage and store weapons inside them.

He added that they had violated international law by allegedly planting sea mines in the port and beyond, threatening shipping in the southern Red Sea.

There have been 213 ballistic missiles launched by the militias toward the Kingdom between March 26, 2015 and Jan. 7, 2019.

Meanwhile, more air, land and sea relief ports in Yemen have been opened, and the total number of maritime permits issued by the Joint Forces Command from March 26, 2015 to Jan. 7, 2019 was 5,076. Air permits for the same period were issued for 13,213 passengers, and there were 1,229 land permits.

Almost 300 of these permits went to humanitarian aid organizations, vital for the rebuilding and resupply of Yemen. 


Two Saudis join WWE Performance Center after successful Jeddah tryout

Updated 8 min 44 sec ago
0

Two Saudis join WWE Performance Center after successful Jeddah tryout

  • Kurdi and Aldagal were selected from nearly 30 athletes who took part in the Jeddah tryout
  • Current NXT Superstar Mansoor won recent 50-Man Battle Royal at WWE Super ShowDown in Kingdom

JEDDAH: Two athletes from last year’s historic talent tryout in Jeddah have begun training at the WWE Performance Center.
New signees Faisal Kurdi and Hussain Aldagal, both of Saudi Arabia, reported to WWE’s Orlando training facility several weeks ago.
Kurdi and Aldagal were selected from nearly 30 athletes who took part in the Jeddah tryout. That was the same tryout attended by current NXT Superstar Mansoor, who won the recent 50-Man Battle Royal at WWE Super ShowDown in the Kingdom.
Kurdi boasts a background in amateur grappling, Muay Thai boxing and mixed martial arts, and has placed in championship competitions in the Middle East. He stands 5-foot-8 and weighs 182 pounds.
The 6-foot-3, 211-pound Aldagal has previous athletic experience in volleyball and bodybuilding. Outside of his athletic endeavors, he is also a civil engineer.
As WWE finishes onboarding athletes from the Jeddah tryout, talent scouts are preparing for the next international tryout, which takes place July 15-18 in Shanghai, China.
WWE last held a tryout in China in 2016.