‘Sorceress’ principal demoted to teacher

Updated 16 October 2014

‘Sorceress’ principal demoted to teacher

The principal of an elementary school has accused colleagues of leveling false charges against her, which resulted in her demotion to a teacher's position.
Majida Al-Shaffie, who was the principal at the fourth elementary school in Al-Kaaki district, was quoted as saying in local media that she suffered a nervous breakdown and collapsed when the education department sent her a letter stating that she would be demoted.
Al-Shaffie's husband, Ibrahim Alnmir, said teachers accused his wife of sorcery, spying on teachers and raising the grades of students to improve the school's standing.
He said that his wife was the victim of a conspiracy to oust her, involving some female teachers and supervisors in the department. “They intend to destroy her honorable history as a teacher, and the efforts she made to turn the school into an exemplary model of learning,” he said.
“My wife was the subject of malicious complaints from teachers and anonymous persons. The complaints were probed and found groundless. When my wife decided to file a case in the courts against these plots, she was dismissed from her position.”
The teacher said she had 25 years of service in the education field, with 14 of those years in the administrative department, and more than 60 certificates of recognition from her supervisors, parents and government agencies.
Abdulaziz bin Saad Al-Thaqafi, media spokesperson of the education department, said the former headmaster had violated regulations and was sanctioned. He said a committee of headmasters and deputies had studied the actions of Al-Shaffie and concluded she had committed too many violations and should be demoted.
He said there was now an investigation under way to know how she managed to get so many commendations for good performance.


Iraq denies links to drone attack on Saudi oil facilities

Updated 15 September 2019

Iraq denies links to drone attack on Saudi oil facilities

  • The operation was claimed by Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen
  • ‘Iraq is constitutionally committed to preventing any use of its soil to attack its neighbors’

BAGHDAD: Baghdad on Sunday denied any link to drone attacks on Saudi oil plants, after media speculation that the strikes were launched from Iraq despite being claimed by Yemeni rebels.
The attacks early Saturday targeted two key oil installations, causing massive fires and taking out half of the kingdom’s vast oil output.
The operation was claimed by Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition is bogged down in a five-year war.
But the Wall Street Journal has reported that officials were investigating the possibility the attacks involved missiles launched from Iraq or Iran.
Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi on Sunday denied reports Iraqi territory “was used for drone attacks on Saudi oil facilities.”
“Iraq is constitutionally committed to preventing any use of its soil to attack its neighbors,” he said in a statement.
“The Iraqi government will be extremely firm with whomever tries to violate the constitution.”
Iraq is home to several Iran-backed militias and paramilitary factions, placing it in an awkward situation amid rising tensions between its two main sponsors, Tehran and Washington.
United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo squarely accused Tehran of being behind Saturday’s operation, saying there was no evidence the “unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply” was launched from Yemen.
Iraq has called for its territory to be spared any spillover in the standoff between the US and Iran, which has included a series of attacks on shipping in sensitive Gulf waters.
Recent raids on bases belonging to Iraqi Shiite paramilitary groups linked with Iran, attributed to Israel, sparked fears of an escalation.
There have been no military consequences so far, but the strikes have heightened divisions between pro-Tehran and pro-Washington factions in Iraq’s political class.
Baghdad has recently moved to repair ties with Saudi Arabia, a key US ally — much to Iran’s chagrin.
Riyadh recently announced a major border post on the Iraqi frontier would reopen mid-October, after being closed for almost three decades.