Terrorists ‘targeting hospitals, civilians in Yemen'

Updated 30 April 2015

Terrorists ‘targeting hospitals, civilians in Yemen'

Fighting for the restoration of peace and the legitimate government in Yemen, coalition forces have reason to believe that the Houthis were trained by Hezbollah and Iran to harm people in order to dismantle the legitimate government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi.
Addressing the daily briefing on Operation Decisive Storm at Riyadh Air Base on Tuesday, Brig. Gen. Ahmad Al-Assiri, a consultant at the defense minister’s office, said: “The asymmetric warfare of the Houthis and Iranian-trained fighter jets being used by the militia only prove that Hezbollah and Iran trained the Houthis.”
Moreover, the history of their alliance in the past further confirms their vested goals of grabbing power, he said.
The coalition spokesman pointed out that the Houthis targeted hospitals and civilians, and attempted to cut water and power supplies, but coalition forces, the Popular Committees, tribesmen and resistance fighters prevented them from causing chaos.
Al-Assiri noted that the UN was briefed on these attempts to cause chaos. Moreover, the Red Cross revealed ground reports exposing Houthi involvement in the targeting of civilians, he said.
The militants areresorting to these tactics against civilians to provoke coalition troops for any reactions that may cause collateral damage, he said.
However, undeterred by the facts, the allied forces continued their strikes based on precise intelligence to destroy Houthi firepower, artillery stocks and other arms and ammunition to force them to surrender, paving the way for the restoration of the legitimate government.
Al-Assiri said the coalition command is proactive to provide logistical and humanitarian support whereas the airstrikes are also continuing at the same pace to achieve the defined goals.
Coalition forces have targeted a number Houthi camps in different areas of the country to bring them to their knees, he added.
Despite their hostile attempts to disturb peace and continue their reign of terror, the coalition will restore peace in Yemen, he said.
“Operation Decisive Storm was started to protect the people of Yemen and their legitimate government, and we are sure we will protect them by the grace of Almighty Allah,” said Al-Assiri.
In a reply to a questions about the use of forces for ground operations, he said: “It will be announced at an appropriate time, if and when required.”
So far as the land forces are concerned, Border Guard and field artillery on southern border are vigilant and committed to their assigned mission in preventing the terrorists from forming any base to head toward the border, he said.


Cirque du Soleil heads to Saudi in special one-off show

Updated 11 September 2018

Cirque du Soleil heads to Saudi in special one-off show

  • More than 80 artists will take the stage at the King Fahd International Stadium for the show
  • About 250 costumes have been specially made to respect local traditions

MONTREAL: Cirque du Soleil will stage a show in Saudi Arabia for the first time later this month, the high-flying acrobatic troupe announced Monday.
The show will take place in the Saudi capital on Sept. 23 to coincide with the country's national day, public relations director Marie-Helene Lagace told AFP.
More than 80 artists will take the stage at the King Fahd International Stadium for the show, which will also be shown on Saudi state television. Cirque says it will be one of its biggest one-off productions ever.
About 250 costumes have been specially made to respect local traditions and conform to "the artistic standards for which we are known," Lagace said.
The announcement of Cirque du Soleil's appearance in Saudi Arabia was first made in Los Angeles in April, Lagace noted. But it was unclear whether the show would go on given the diplomatic tensions.
At the behest of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia has reopened movie theaters and allowed women and men to attend some concerts together.