Anti-IS raids in Syria killed 2,000 since September

Updated 23 April 2015

Anti-IS raids in Syria killed 2,000 since September

BEIRUT: At least 2,000 people, mostly Islamic State terrorists, have been killed in Syria by a US-led air campaign in the past seven months, a monitoring group said Thursday.
“At least 1,922 fighters from IS, mostly foreigners, have been killed since September 23, 2014 in raids and aerial attacks by the international coalition on IS positions and oil refineries” throughout Syria, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The strikes targeted IS positions in the central province of Homs, as well as Aleppo in the north, Hasakeh in the northeast, and Deir Ezzor to the east.
They also struck the northern province of Raqqa, where the provincial capital of the same name has become the center of IS’s self-styled “caliphate.”
The toll also included 90 fighters from IS’ rival and Al-Qaeda Syrian affiliate Al-Nusra Front, most of whom were killed in coalition strikes on their strongholds in northern Syria. It also included one rebel who was being held by IS.
At least 66 civilians, including 10 children, have been killed in the campaign, the Britain-based Observatory said.
The coalition air strikes have provided significant support to Kurdish forces, helping them to expel IS from the flashpoint town of Kobani on the Syrian-Turkish border in January.


Lebanon’s foreign minister resigns amid economic crisis

Updated 03 August 2020

Lebanon’s foreign minister resigns amid economic crisis

  • Nassif Hitti submits resignation to the prime minister and leaves government house without making any comments
  • Hitti’s resignation is a blow to Hassan Diab’s government

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s foreign minister resigned on Monday, becoming the first Cabinet minister to defect from his post amid the severe economic and financial crisis striking the country.
Minister Nassif Hitti’s submitted his resignation to the prime minister and left the government house without making any comments.
A career diplomat, Hitti became foreign minister in January as part of Prime Minister Hassan Diab’s government. He was was reportedly unhappy with the government’s performance and lack of movement on promised reforms.
Local media reports said he also was angered by Diab’s criticism of French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian following his visit to Beirut last month. Diab had said Le Drian “did not bring anything new” and was not properly informed about the reforms implemented by the Lebanese government.
It was not immediately clear whether his resignation would be accepted and whether one of the other ministers would assume his responsibilities in caretaker capacity until a new minister is appointed.
Hitti’s resignation is a blow to Diab’s government, which has struggled to implement reforms amid an unprecedented financial crisis and the coronavirus pandemic.