The United States plans to build a new consulate in Dhahran within five years.
Joey Hood, consul general of the US in the Eastern Province, signed a contract on Thursday to purchase land in the Al-Hada neighborhood.
Hood told journalists here that the new building would provide space for additional staff to deal with the growing demand for visas, promote deeper trade and investment ties and provide services for an increasing number of American citizens in the province.
He said the consulate issued 26,000 visas last year, which included 7,000 for students. The new consulate would have the capacity to issue 50,000 visas, he said.
Hood said this year marks the consulate’s 70th year in the Kingdom. The consulate opened its doors in 1944 in the Saudi Aramco compound and moved to its current location in 1951.
“This new consulate compound will ensure a modern, energy efficient diplomatic presence for the United States in the Eastern Province for many decades to come,” Hood said.
He said the consulate has rejected visas for some people, but the reasons for this would remain confidential.
Hood said many people have praised the consulate for issuing visas quickly, especially over the last two years.
To handle rising workload, US plans new Dhahran consulate
To handle rising workload, US plans new Dhahran consulate










