Carlos Sainz out of Dakar Rally

Spain's driver Carlos Sainz and co-driver Lucas Cruz, also of Spain, race their Peugeot during the fourth stage of the Dakar Rally between San Salvador de Jujuy, Argentina and Tupiza, Bolivia, on Thursday. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)
Updated 06 January 2017

Carlos Sainz out of Dakar Rally

TUPIZA, Bolivia: Former champion Carlos Sainz of Spain has been forced out of the Dakar Rally after his Peugeot was badly damaged in an accident, his team said Friday.
Sainz, the 2010 Dakar winner, is the second top auto competitor to quit the race in South America after former two-time winner Nasser Al Attiyah of Qatar.
The Spaniard lost control of his vehicle which rolled over just five kilometers from the finish of Thursday’s gruelling fourth stage between San Salvador de Jujuy in Argentine and Tupiza in Bolivia.
“It appears that the necessary work cannot be carried out within the time allowed,” Peugeot Sport said in a statement.
“I’m obviously very disappointed by this withdrawal,” said Sainz, also a two-time world rally champion in 1990 and 1992.
“I regret not being able to to challenge.”
Sainz had been provisionally third in the standings when misfortune hit more than seven minutes behind French race leader and Peugeot teammate Cyril Despres.
The 54-year-old took to the road again after two hours stranded but finished the special 2hr 19min behind Despres, ending his hopes of winning the race for a second time.
The 521km fourth stage of the Dakar Rally — dubbed the most difficult by organizers since the race moved to South America — proved fatal for several key challengers.
Defending motorcycle champion Toby Price was forced out after breaking his left leg, joining two-time auto winner Al Attiyah on the sidelines.
Australian rider Price suffered his race-ending injury when he tumbled off his KTM motorbike after 371km as the 9,000km race climbed into the dizzying altitudes of the Andes.
The 29-year-old had to be airlifted off the course, which hit 3,000 meters above sea level, to hospital.
Earlier in the day, Al Attiyah was also forced to pull out after his Toyota lost a wheel on Wednesday’s third stage, a setback which left him stranded for over an hour.
Friday’s fifth stage is from Tupiza to Oruro in Bolivia with Despres leading the auto race and Joan Barreda in charge of the moto event.


England cricket players donate, take pay cuts amid COVID-19 crisis

Updated 05 April 2020

England cricket players donate, take pay cuts amid COVID-19 crisis

  • The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said the season will not start before May 28
  • ECB’s centrally contracted women players to take a salary reduction for the months of April, May and June

LONDON: England’s centrally contracted male cricketers will donate £500,000 ($613,000) to the Board and charities while their women’s team counterparts have volunteered a three-month pay cut amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the players’ association (PCA) said.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said the season will not start before May 28 and speculation has been mounting over how their leading players would respond to the situation.

“Following a meeting today of all of the England men’s centrally contracted cricketers, the players have agreed to make an initial donation of £0.5 million to the ECB and to selected good causes ...” the Professional Cricketers’ Association said in a statement.

“This contribution is the equivalent of all of the England centrally contracted players taking a 20 percent reduction in their monthly retainers for the next three months.

“The players will continue to discuss with the ECB the challenging situation faced by the game and society as a whole and will consider how best to support the ECB and both the cricketing and wider community going forward.”

The ECB’s centrally contracted women players have volunteered to take a salary reduction for the months of April, May and June in line with their coaches and support staff.

England women’s captain Heather Knight said: “All the players felt like it was the right response in the current climate to take a pay cut in line with what our support staff are taking.

“We know how the current situation is affecting the game and we want to help as much as we can.

“We will be discussing with the ECB further ways we can help the game in the coming weeks,” added Knight, who has signed up with the National Health Service (NHS) as a volunteer.

The ECB has announced a 61 million pounds aid package to help the local game withstand the financial impact of the pandemic.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler is currently auctioning the shirt he wore in England’s 2019 World Cup final victory to raise funds for efforts to fight the coronavirus.