Monica Bellucci on plastic surgery: ‘Why not!’

Italian actress Monica Bellucci poses during a photocall of the movie "Milky Road" directed by Emir Kusturica, in this May 8, 2017 photo, in Rome. (AFP)
Updated 11 May 2017

Monica Bellucci on plastic surgery: ‘Why not!’

PARIS: Actress Monica Bellucci reopened the heated debate on the airbrushing of stars’ photographs on Wednesday by declaring, “Thank heavens for retouching.”
The Italian beauty, the oldest Bond girl ever at 50 in “Spectre,” told AFP that she had learned to accept “seeing my face change” but she was not adverse to a little help from Photoshop. She said she was glad that magazines were airbrushing less than in the past and that the public was learning to love stars’ little “imperfections.”
Even so “I say thank heavens for retouching. It’s airbrushing that saves us,” she declared. The actress, now 52, said when she watched her latest film, Emir Kusturica’s “On the Milky Road,” she noticed that she had “lines around my eyes and everywhere. Ten years ago I didn’t have them. I see how I have changed on screen.
“That said, I look at myself with compassion,” she added.
“I didn’t say to myself, ‘Oh my God, it’s monstrous!’ No, I think it is charming,” said the mother of two.
The former model, whose new book of interviews “Rencontres clandestines” (Secret Meetings) is published Wednesday in France, also said people should not look down on women who have had cosmetic surgery.
“When I see mature women who haven’t been redone I don’t say, ‘She should get her face lifted.’ I think to myself, ‘She is very lovely like that.’
“However, when you see someone who has had work and who is beautiful with it, I say to myself, ‘She did the right thing’,” she added.
“You have to do what is good for you,” said the actress, who will be master of ceremonies at the Cannes film festival later this month.
“Plastic surgery is there. If it makes you happy, why not do it?“


Judge lifts ban on ‘tell-all’ book by Donald Trump’s niece

Updated 02 July 2020

Judge lifts ban on ‘tell-all’ book by Donald Trump’s niece

  • Mary Trump dubs the US president ‘the world’s most dangerous man’
  • The president’s brother Robert Trump had asked for the restraining order

WASHINGTON: An appeals court judge in New York has lifted a temporary ban on the publication of a potentially explosive “tell-all” book by President Donald Trump’s niece, court documents showed.
The ruling issued Wednesday allows publisher Simon & Schuster to print and distribute the 240-page book by Mary Trump, who dubs the US president “the world’s most dangerous man.”
It would be the latest bombshell memoir to dish dirt on the leader after former aide John Bolton’s book, which described Trump as corrupt and incompetent, was cleared for publication last week.
The president’s brother Robert Trump had asked for the restraining order, arguing that Mary was violating a non-disclosure agreement signed in 2001 after the settlement over the estate of Fred Trump — the father of Donald and Robert and of Mary’s father Fred Trump Jr.
Judge Alan Scheinkman postponed addressing whether the author had violated the agreement preventing her from revealing family secrets by writing the book, titled “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man.”
Nevertheless Simon & Schuster “is not a party to the agreement,” so the block of their publication of the book “is vacated,” he ruled.
In the book, Mary, a clinical psychologist, recounts what she witnessed of the “toxic family” in the home of her grandparents, according to her publisher.
“According to the plaintiff, Ms. Trump has stated that (the) book contains an ‘insider’s perspective’ of ‘countless holiday meals,’ ‘family interactions,’ and ‘family events,’” Scheinkman’s ruling said.
The Daily Beast has reported the book will reveal that Mary Trump was the crucial source for explosive New York Times reporting on Trump’s finances, which suggested the billionaire paid little in tax for decades.
In a statement, Mary Trump’s attorney Ted Boutrous said the lifting of the prior restraint against the publisher was “very good news.”
“We look forward to filing our brief tomorrow (Thursday) in the trial court explaining why the same result is required as to Ms. Trump, based on the First Amendment and basic contract law,” he said.
Mary Trump’s legal team said they were hoping for a July 10 hearing, which will most likely take place virtually.
Last week a judge refused to block the release of Bolton’s book, titled “The Room Where It Happened,” saying it was too late for the restraining order sought by the Trump administration.
Trump has characterized the portrait of 17 months up close with the leader, until Bolton was fired in September, as “fiction.”
Other books written about the president include journalist Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury,” a behind-the-scenes account of Trump’s chaotic early days in the White House, which sold more than four million copies worldwide.
Trump dismissed that book as “full of lies.”