Controversial Indian show depicting child marriage pulled off air

The show revolved around a 10-year-old boy married to a 19-year-old woman. (Photo courtesy: Sony Entertainment Television)
Updated 29 August 2017

Controversial Indian show depicting child marriage pulled off air

DUBAI: Following intense backlash in India, Sony Entertainment Television said Tuesday that it has pulled its controversial show “Pehredaar Piya Ki” (Husband’s Guard) off the air.
The show was launched last month on Sony Entertainment Television — a popular Hindi general entertainment channel in India — and was aired every weekday night in the prime 8:30 p.m. slot.
The show revolved around a 10-year-old boy married to a 19-year-old woman and has outraged Indian viewers who sought to ban the “bizarre show” for glorifying child marriage.
“While we understand that the decision to end this serial will be disappointing to those whose creative energies are vested in it, namely its crew and cast, we are convinced that we will be better served by focusing instead on developing viewer interest in our upcoming, new shows,” an official statement by Sony said.
“We are grateful to all the artists, producers and fans of our shows and request you to graciously support the viewership of our newer ventures,” it added.
Earlier in August, India’s Broadcasting Content Complaints Council stated that the program must add an on-screen scroll stating that it does not promote the concept of child marriage.
A Change.org petition urging information and broadcasting minister Smriti Irani to ban the show was launched last week and the petitioner, Mansi Jain, questioned the influence the soap would have on viewers and said it showed the child perform marriage rituals such as putting vermillion on the older actor playing his wife.
— With Reuters


UAE launches global tolerance initiative for youth

Updated 14 November 2019

UAE launches global tolerance initiative for youth

  • The initiative aims to create “tolerance rings” in the digital space
  • The minister unveiled a commemorative stamp issued by Emirates Post

DUBAI: A new online initiative that seeks to encourage tolerance through dialogue among youth in the UAE, the region and around the world was announced during the second day of the World Tolerance Summit in Dubai on Thursday.
The Tolerance without Borders initiative was announced by Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al-Nahyan, the UAE’s minister of tolerance, during his keynote speech.
The initiative aims to create “tolerance rings” in the digital space, giving youth a platform for peaceful dialogue that extends beyond religious, cultural, linguistic and spatial barriers.
“We hope to see the youth of the UAE at the forefront of this initiative, engaging in communication that’s based on tolerance and acceptance with their peers here at home and around the world,” said Al-Nahyan, who is also chairman of the board of trustees at the International Institute for Tolerance.
He added that the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al-Nahyan was the pioneer behind the UAE’s prosperity, and had built a “space for coexistence and tolerance” that has helped the country’s peaceful development.
“We’re proud that we, a country in which all human beings live, with real love and genuine tolerance, live and work together to build a future for children without fear of intolerance, hatred or discrimination … based on color, religion, sect or race,” said the minister.
He added that positive relations and tolerance between all cultures and beliefs is a pre-requisite to eradicating poverty, discrimination and disease.
“Our presence together at this World Tolerance Summit is a strong declaration that we all have a duty and a responsibility in the constant pursuit of building successful relationships and partnerships across cultural frontiers,” he said.
The minister unveiled a commemorative stamp issued by Emirates Post in collaboration with the Supreme National Committee for the Year of Tolerance.
The summit hosted more than 70 speakers and over 3,000 participants from more than 100 countries.