Syrian filmmaker Talal Derki wins at Sundance

Director Talal Derki
Updated 28 January 2018

Syrian filmmaker Talal Derki wins at Sundance

LOS ANGELES: “Of Fathers and Sons,” a study of radicalization in the home, from celebrated Syrian filmmaker Talal Derki, won the world cinema documentary competition at the Sundance Film Festival, which wrapped Saturday.
The US documentary directing prize went to Alexandria Bombach for “On Her Shoulders,” — a portrait of a Yazidi girl who survived sexual slavery at the hands of the Daesh group — while the US documentary audience award went to “The Sentence.”
“Butterflies” came away with the grand jury prize for world drama while “Kailash,” about one man’s crusade to end child slavery, won best US documentary. The US dramatic audience award — the second prize to the grand jury award — went to Andrew Heckler’s “Burden.”
“The Miseducation of Cameron Post” came away with the top prize at the festival.
The Sundance Film Festival, founded by actor Robert Redford, is considered a showcase for independent and documentary films, and festival winners often go on to receive critical acclaim and Hollywood awards season glory.
Among the titles from the 2017 edition of the festival picking up trophies at Hollywood’s various ceremonies are Jordan Peele’s “Get Out,” which played out of competition as a midnight screening.
The dark comedy has four Oscar nominations, including best film, director and screenplay.
“Call Me by Your Name,” which director Luca Guadagnino took to last year’s Sundance, also has four Oscar nominations, including best picture.
Dee Rees’s “Mudbound,” picked up by Netflix for a considerable $12.5 million at last year’s festival, has Academy nods for adapted screenplay, supporting actress, cinematography and original song.
“I love really how the entire community here at the festival is curious, adventurous and so eager to engage with one another in the dialogue,” said Sundance Institute executive Keri Putnam.
“But it all starts with the work. It’s the work we see on the screens coming from such fresh, creative and independent perspectives.”


Florida offers drive-through Botox to quarantined residents

Updated 04 June 2020

Florida offers drive-through Botox to quarantined residents

  • US state allowed a partial relaxing of restrictions imposed to slow the coronavirus pandemic
  • Elective medical procedures resume, including Botox injections and cosmetic surgery

MIAMI: Quarantined Florida residents worried about their laughter lines and crows’ feet need frown no longer — Botox is back, and it’s being offered at a drive-through.
On May 4, the US state allowed a partial relaxing of restrictions imposed to slow the coronavirus pandemic. That means certain elective medical procedures could resume, including Botox injections and cosmetic surgery.
Michael Salzhauer, a plastic surgeon known as ‘Dr. Miami’ who has also starred in a reality television show, has been conducting drive-through Botox injections in the garage of his building in the posh Miami neighborhood of Bal Harbor.
Salzhauer said the idea struck him as he was sitting in his car waiting for a blood test for COVID-19 antibodies.
“The areas that we inject Botox are the upper face, exactly the parts of the face that aren’t covered by the mask so it’s really ideal,” Salzhauer said, while wearing a mask, face shield and surgical gown as he waited for his next drive-up patient.
Patients sign up online, paying an average of $600 each for a stippling of shots across their foreheads.
Arman Ohevshalom, 36, was enthusiastic as he waited in line with his wife in their car, although it was their first time receiving the injections.
“It’s very creative, and after seeing how they’re running it I feel just as comfortable as I would in the office,” he said.
Florida’s tattoo artists, however, are frustrated. Shuttered since March, they asking why they cannot open, too.
Botox injections are “kind of like tattooing, he’s injecting stuff into the skin,” said tattoo shop owner Chico Cortez. Florida is home to about 10,000 working tattoo artists, according to the Florida Professional Tattoo Artist Guild.
An emailed statement from a Miami-Dade County spokesperson said Mayor Carlos Gimenez has yet to set a date for reopening tattoo shops. “He is working with industry members and the medical experts to come up with the best way to reopen safely,” it said.