FaceOf: Khalid bin Qarar Al-Harbi, commander of the Hajj Security Forces

Updated 19 August 2018

FaceOf: Khalid bin Qarar Al-Harbi, commander of the Hajj Security Forces

Khalid bin Qarar Al-Harbi has been serving as the commander of Special Emergency Forces and commander of the Hajj Security Forces since July 2017.

He graduated from King Fahd Security College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in security sciences. After his graduation, he joined the Emergency Forces for the Madinah region. He worked in different departments of the forces and held different positions, including company commander, battalion commander, the commander of the recruitment and training center and the operations manager. 

Subsequently, Al-Harbi was promoted as the force commander for Madinah city. In 2006, he was appointed as the operations director at the Saudi Special Emergency Forces headquarters. He was later promoted as the commander of the Special Emergency Forces in 2010. 

He completed several courses on different areas of security sciences in Saudi Arabia and from different institutions in the UK, France, Egypt, Indonesia and China. The courses pertained to combating terrorism, special operations, riot control, and security leadership. 

He participated in many counterterrorism operations. 

Al-Harbi also has extensive experience in the organization and management of Hajj and Umrah seasons in Makkah and Madinah. He has contributed in laying the foundations plans of crowd management and organization in Jamarat during Hajj. 

On Friday, he visited  the “Kafa” exhibition held in Makkah. The event was organized by the Kafa Anti-Smoking Association to raise awareness about the dangers of smoking and drugs. The association offers its services to pilgrims who wish to quit smoking and spreads awareness among them.  “Kafa” annually organizes campaigns and programs during the Hajj season to educate pilgrims about the dangers of smoking, and they reportedly treated about 500 pilgrims in Mina last year.


Saudi airports welcome back passengers after two-month hiatus

Updated 30 min 54 sec ago

Saudi airports welcome back passengers after two-month hiatus

  • Social distancing and face masks required in aircraft
  • Two local flights to be added daily to restore capacity 

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is welcoming the return of aircraft and passengers amid strict precautionary measures to counter the spread of coronavirus.
The General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) on Sunday opened 11 of the Kingdom’s 28 airports in a step toward restoring normality to everyday activities.
All flights and means of travel between Saudi cities ground to a halt on March 21.
“The progressive and gradual reopening aims at controlling the crowd inside airports because we want to achieve the highest health efficiency,” GACA spokesman Ibrahim bin Abdullah Alrwosa told Arab News.
He said that two local flights would be added daily until all routes returned to their normal capacity, during which time GACA would increase the capacity of aircrafts as decided by relevant committees. 
GACA has issued a travel guide for passengers, detailing what steps have been taken by authorities to ensure public health and safety and what obligations are on passengers. 
A decision about the return of international flights was up to authorities, he said. 
“I call on all travelers, both Saudis and residents, to read this guide and to look at the information and details in it because the travel decision depends on it,” the spokesman added.
Passengers found to violate any of the terms and conditions will not be allowed to complete the check-in process as per the new travel procedures.
The new terms include the use of e-tickets and passengers will not be allowed to enter airport premises without one. Purchasing tickets inside airport grounds is currently not an option because booking services for airline sales are currently closed.
Wearing a face mask is a prerequisite for airport access and any individual who fails to wear a face mask will be denied entry to the airport.
Passengers under the age of 15 will not be allowed to travel unaccompanied.
The Ministry of Health has set up temperature checkpoints inside the airport and passengers recording a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or higher will be denied entry in order to ensure their safety and the safety of other passengers.
Social distancing inside the airport has been adopted at entrances, exits, at seating areas and bridges leading to airplanes.
There will be social distancing on the aircraft, with an empty seat between each passenger, according to recommendations from the Ministry of Health, which stipulated that there must be social distancing.
“We want to make airports a safe environment to achieve a safe flight. There is another important issue, which is a well-known social tradition. There are many people at the airport who come to say goodbye to their loved ones or receive them. We will not allow the presence of people who do not have tickets in the airports, in order to ensure the safety of passengers,” said the GACA spokesman.
He said that passenger cooperation and compliance played a key role in the successful restart of flights.
“We rely on citizens and passengers, locals and residents alike, to help us implement preventive measures and to comply with the health rules recommended by the Ministry of Health.”